Friday, July 17, 2009

Simple Joys

I left work a little early today so I could go see Away We Go. And it is a fabulous film. It stars John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph as thirty-something "fuck-ups" who suddenly find themselves pregnant. After his parents decide to move to Belgium--one month before their granddaughter is born--the couple decides to travel the continent in search of a new place to call home. Along the way they meet a cast of bizarre characters played by a roster of great actors including Allison Janney, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Catherine O'Hara, and Jeff Daniels. But what is truly wonderful about the film is the loving relationship between Burt (Krasinski) and Verona (Rudolph) who thought that by the time they were in their early thirties they would have figured out this thing called life. I think the film will be even more poignant when I'm older because as a twenty-something I of course haven't figured life out yet, but I think that I will someday. What I'm beginning to suspect is that even when I have all the outward signifiers of success and maturity, I still won't know anymore about this so-called life than everyone else. I won't spoil the ending, but the last twenty minutes or so, starting with the trampoline scene, are just beautiful. Rudolph of SNL fame is simply wonderful, and contrary to what she told Krasinski before shooting, she can act. The film also works in some wonderful camera shots, and the folk-ish soundtrack by Alexi Murdoch is perfect. I highly recommend this film.

Upon exiting the always delightful Broadway Centre Cinema, I took a moment to luxuriate in the 99* weather. And what I love even more than this downtown independent theater is the attached outdoor parking garage. From the garage I can see downtown SLC--a rusted water tower, old apartment buildings, City Hall, the Cathedral of the Madeleine, the Holy Trinity Cathedral, the University of Utah, and so on. And looking out on the city in the dry heat after seeing a wonderful film, I was filled with simple joy. And then I got in my car only to discover my Check Engine light is on again only weeks after spending a small fortune at a mechanic's. Still it was a great way to start the weekend.

By the by, this is my 50th blog post since starting this blog back around Christmas. I just thought that was interesting, and I wanted to thank all of you, my friends, for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Woot! Fifty posts! Feels good, huh?

    I loved your description of the city from the vantage point of just having stepped out of the cinema. Have you thought of writing a novel that puts the rest of us to shame?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those moments when life and your surroundings feel so enlightening and wonderful! I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed the movie. I've heard such bad reviews but confess I was in love with the concept, nonetheless. Now I can see it confidently.

    Happy 50th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amber! I haven't seriously thought about writing a novel since I was like twelve. And come to think of it, perhaps I'm better with the lyrical than with characters and plots and such. But maybe one day...

    Kristen, I haven't read any reviews for Away We Go but I have also heard they aren't so great. The film doesn't have a tight plot or any explosions; it's just about two people wandering around and fumbling at life and love, but it does produce some great moments. It's also more of a Dave Eggers movie than a Sam Mendes film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Away We Go a couple weeks ago. Freaking amazing. And the soundtrack is definitely lovely as well. Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope the rest of your weekend was equally as great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 50th, Gregory!

    I knew you would enjoy Away We Go.

    ReplyDelete