Monday, October 26, 2009

Toriphilia

Yes, this is going to be one of those blogs where I discuss my deep and abiding love for Tori Amos. (You can stop reading now if you would like.) In particular this is where I list the top ten songs that I will always love by Tori. A few weeks ago, sitting in class, I decided to list my most favoritest songs, and then I spent some time talking to Kristen P to help me. Today, sitting in a meeting, I decided to revisit my list. To be clear these are the songs I personally love the most and expect to love the most forever. This is not the same list I would make of what I believe are her best songs, or the list I would make to introduce someone to Tori--though if you would like suggestions, I am happy to make them! Anyway, I decided ten was way too limiting, so I opted for twelve since that's the usual number of tracks on an album. So it's my top ten plus two (out of so, so many) alternates. Still, this list has been an epic struggle. However, without any further ado*, I present my list.

"Tear In Your Hand" Little Earthquakes
"Cooling (B-side Version)" A Piano: The Collection
"Bouncing Off Clouds" American Doll Posse
"Silent All These Years" Little Earthquakes
"Space Dog" Under the Pink
"Hey Jupiter (The Dakota Version)" A Piano: The Collection
"Precious Things (Alternate Mix)" A Piano: The Collection
"Spark" From the Choirgirl Hotel
"Bliss" To Venus and Back
"Winter" Little Earthquakes
"A Sorta Fairytale" Scarlet's Walk
"Sweet Dreams (B-side Version)" A Piano: The Collection

*Further ado: The listing here is largely in descending order starting with my most favorite and not (necessarily) in playlist form.
The first five were easy, not so easy after that. Notable mentions go to "Crucify," "Cloud On My Tongue," "Merman," "Playboy Mommy," and "Professional Widow," among so many others.
Many of the songs have multiple versions: single, album, alternate, remix, b-side, etc. So I am listing the specific song title--basically how it appears in iTunes. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, except for "Sweet Dreams" where the B-side version is vastly superior to the Tales version.

No comments:

Post a Comment