Friday, April 13, 2012

More Books! Part II

I just finished Mockingjay, the final book of The Hunger Games series. My sister owns the books, and I read the first two last summer. But then she went back to college in the fall and took her books with her. She’s on a mission now, and her books are back home, so I was able to read the third book. The first two took me mere days to read, this one took months. Most people kept saying they didn’t like the third book, and while there are certainly several depressing turns of events, I think the book ended on a somewhat positive/hopeful note. I think the first book is the best of the series, and I will probably reread it soon. I will also probably see the movie eventually. 

I would like to briefly mention that of the three major YA publishing phenomena of the last 15 years, I think Harry Potter is the best in terms of writing, world-building, character development, and message. Jen Andrews of TBTL tells us Harry Potter matters because “Dobby is a free elf, that ‘expelliarmus’ is the spell used by someone who knows that love is always the answer, and that Percy can always come home.” Harry Potter is about the power of love in the face of evil and uncertain times. The Hunger Games satirize us as we already are and may shortly become. Therefore, it’s timely, relevant, and important. Twilight seems mostly about being passive and indulging in unhealthy relationships. and it features the worst writing of the bunch. 

I still have a pile of books staring at me. This includes Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood, which is the basis of Cabaret. It’s divided in two sections, the short novel The Last of Mr. Norris and then Goodbye to Berlin—a section of autobiographical short stories, one of which is “Sally Bowles.” This served as the basis for the play and film I Am A Camera which in turn become the musical and then Fosse film Cabaret. The Sally Bowles chapter is fantastic and I am still working my way through Goodbye to Berlin. I have not decided yet if I will read The Last of Mr. Norris

I also checked out from the library Fast Talking Dames by Maria DiBattista which is about those indomitable women of film in the 30s and early 40s, especially in screwball comedies. DiBattista is a Princeton professor and the book was published by Yale University Press, so the book has an academic bent to it, but is interesting so far. It has inspired me to finally watch several screwball comedies including My Man Godfrey, The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, Adam’s Rib, and The Lady Eve with more to come. 

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. I read A Game of Thrones last summer and when I finished, I promptly bought the second in the series. The only problem is these books are l o n g and intricately plotted, so I was exhausted after the first one. I’m a little more than a third of the way through this one, and it will probably still take a while to finish. 

The Tale of Telsharu. I’m a bad friend. My dear friend and former roommate Valerie Mechling co-wrote this novel and got it published last summer. Of course I bought a copy and started it, but then I got sidetracked by lots and lots of other books. So with fewer books, I’m going back to this one and won’t check out any other books until I finish this one. It’s a martial arts fantasy novel set in an imaginary Asian empire. So far it reminds me a bit of Guy Gavriel Kay’s historical fantasy Under Heaven which I enjoyed. Also, they’re about ready to publish the sequel, so I really need to finish this one. 

Finishing the Hat by Stephen Sondheim. Collected Lyrics (1954–1981) with Attendant Comments, Principles, Heresies, Grudges, Whines and Anecdotes. I don’t know that a book of lyrics is meant to be read straight through, though that’s what I’ve been doing, mostly. It’s also more interesting than one might presume. So far I’ve read the sections on Saturday Night, West Side Story, Gypsy, and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I've skipped Anyone Can Whistle and Do I Hear a Waltz?, and have just started Company

I am not checking out any more books from the library until I finish some, or even all, of these. Yet my reading list grows ever longer. Here’s a couple. Nancy Pearl has just started her Book Lust Rediscoveries which is reprinting some of her favorite novels in the last 50 years that have since gone out of print. The first on the list is A Gay and Melancholy Sound by Merle Miller, and my Seattle friends are all over it. John Irving is coming out with a new novel next month, In One Person. My friend Lillian got an advance copy and suggested that I read it. So as soon as my local library orders a copy, I will place that on hold. 

Yay for books! I would love to hear if you’ve read anything amazing lately. It can go on my list! Also, as I try to be a better “slow” reader, I thought I would share this video which several of my library school friends were sharing on Facebook last month. I’m going to read so hard.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I haven't read any books lately that are absolutely amazing. Mostly, when I read it's to not think much and be entertained (and also because I don't always have time so I have to be able to easily stop and pickup where I left off), so my books aren't of high quality. I did just read the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness that was an interesting YA read. I didn't much like the third...I found it like Hunger Games actually in that it focused mostly on war and not on characters and all that jazz. But the first two were pretty good (first the best, as in so many series). You inspire me to read more though. Maybe I will get on the ball again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you write.

    Keep doing it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I will look up Chaos Walking. Thanks for the suggestion. Yay for reading more.

    Rae, thanks! I am trying to blog more.

    ReplyDelete