Monday, May 14, 2012

Summer Reading List '12

It's the middle of May! Which means it's kinda like summer now. If you attend most universities, classes are over & it's now summer break. If you attend a certain university in the Pacific Northwest, classes won't be out till the middle of June. (Of course, summer doesn't actually start in Seattle until July 5th.) Those in the K-12 system won't enjoy summer vacation until a week or so after Memorial Day which traditionally marks the beginning of summer for most working adults who receive no seasonal break. Memorial Day used to begin the summer blockbuster movie season. But as The Avengers & The Hunger Games busterblocking releases show, that marker seems less & less tenable. Soon there will only be two film seasons: the Oscars season from December to February & Blockbuster "Summer" season from March until November. The summer solstice will occur on June 20th which marks both the "first" day of summer as well as "midsummer." Which all means that summer is very confusing. What's not confusing is that with the warming seasonal temperatures (not to mention the warming climate) & the longer, bright sun-shiny days, I will be spending more time lounging poolside, reading books, & (hopefully) quenching my thirst with iced tea lemonade. *happy sigh*

A few years ago, one of my college professors started the 16 Books in 16 Weeks summer reading challenge. It just so happens that, including this week, there are 16 weeks until Labor Day, traditionally regarded as the end of the summer season. My list has 18 books, two of which may be considered alternates. or something. With my well-documented failure at actually ever completing a reading list (summer '09 being an historic exception), this list is to be regarded merely as aspirational.

The Tale of Telsharu by Valerie Mechling & Samuel Stubbs (currently reading)
I bought & started this book almost a year ago. I decided it was time to finish it as they are gettting ready to publish the sequel. 

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (currently reading)
After I finish this second volume of the Song of Ice & Fire series, I plan on taking a nice, long break.

The Iliad by Homer
I started reading reading this epic in the summer of 2010. I got a little more than halfway through. I have about 10 books/chapters left. I am resolved to finish it this year. I may have to use Sparknotes to refresh my memory of what already happened.

Albus Unus by Elise Hanson
My high school friend Elise finally finished this book that she's been working on for 10 years. It hasn't been published (yet), but I have a copy of the manuscript.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
This book was a bit of a sensation last year & there are a million holds (or 19) at the public library. But the university library where I work has an available copy. Yay for access to multiple libraries & for college students who don't read for pleasure.

A Gay and Melancholy Sound by Merle Miller
The first of Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries. Lillian assures me that I will like it.

In One Person by John Irving.
Lillian got an advanced copy at PLA in March & told me I must read it. It was just published last week, but shockingly my public library has not purchased a copy. A public library not buying an Irving novel!? Could it be because the narrator is bisexual? I guess I will have to actually buy my own hardback copy.

Leaving the Saints by Martha Beck
The subtitle is "How I Lost the Mormons and Found My Faith." Kristyn O. recommended I check it out.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
I've always preferred The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings. & now is a good time to reread it before the movie comes out this Christmas. On a side note, I am horribly distressed that the film is being split into two parts. Harry Potter 7 Part 2, what hast thou wrought?

Engine Summer by John Crowley
Crowley's Little, Big is one of the best things I have ever read. ever. This short novel has been on my radar for a while.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
This is a YA book that Lillian told me about. I believe one of the characters is gay, so naturally it has been shelved in the adult section of my public library. Oh, Davis County, you'd be so cute if you weren't so terrifying. See also: In One Person.  

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark
This is a relatively recent fantasy book that's made some waves. Lev Grossman (The Magicians) placed it on his list of 10 Must-Read Fantasy Novels.

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard
...who went on a weekend vacation to Paris & never came back. I realize that sounds kind of sinister like she was killed or kidnapped & Liam Neeson has save her. But really, she just fell in love--with a French man & French cuisine. This memoir sounds like a travelogue-cum-food-writing & thus perfect for summer.

The Stand by Stephen King
As a (hopefully soon-to-be) librarian, I feel it's important to have read at least one King novel. I've heard a bit about The Stand, so that's the one I'm choosing.

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
You should all know that I LOVE Wharton: The Age of Innocence, Ethan Frome, The Custom of the Country.

Batman: Knightfall by Doug Moenich & Chuck Dixon
I felt I should have a graphic novel on my summer list, & I like Batman, & I'm excited for the The Dark Knight Rises, & this one looked good. I'm slightly confused though because there's Batman: Knightfall, Part One: Broken Bat (1563891425) which is 272 pages & there's also Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1 (1401233791) which is 640 pages. I may have to do some information sleuthing to get down to the bottom of this.

The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn
This is another Paris memoir this time about an American corporate dropout studying at Le Cordon Bleu.

 Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut
This is the medium-length title which I've always loved. I also felt my list was lacking in satire & postmodernism. So, problem solved.

1 comment:

  1. Your list is ambitious, as always, and I am impressed even if you only make it through a couple of these books.

    Noting that your entry of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell seems to be based only on that "wave" I thought I'd put my two cents in as to where it should be placed on your list by noting I may have preferred the Iliad! I picked it up during the wave when I had some downtime. I kept reading because I was just sure something was about to happen to justify the publicity. . . turned out it was just a good publicist. It would have made a much better short story. Then again, don't hate me, I'm not a Wharton fan, either, so your opinion of it may be totally different than mine.

    ReplyDelete