Monday, November 30, 2015

Tensgiving

November in Review

1. Who Needs a Movie?
Prior to November, I had only seen nine films in the theater (not counting Brewvies Film Buff Night), and five of those were late 2014 movies that didn't come to SLC til Jan/Feb. So the four 2015 releases I had seen were Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, Jurassic World, and Crimson Peak. But then I saw three more new films this month: The Martian, Suffragette, and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2. The Martian was excellent: compelling, thrilling, humorous, and surprisingly emotional. It was more lucid than Interstellar and less claustrophobic than Gravity. Suffragette was fairly good. Carrie Mulligan was wonderful as always, and I thought it was one of Helena Bonham Carter's better performances of late—not being a Tim Burton or Harry Potter film. Queen Meryl as Emmeline Pankhurst was in the movie for all of two minutes, which was a little disappointing. She's on the poster, but she's not even the one who dies! *spoiler alert* And we were all a little shocked as the credits rolled that women didn't get the vote in Switzerland until 1971! Finally, Mockingjay 2 was better than Part 1, and while J.Law was first-rate as always, I didn't buy her romance with either Gale or Peeta, which reminds me of this parody: "because all my life I was never really into either."

Also, out the now-twelve films I've seen this year, eight of them have been with Sam. Thanks for being my movie buddy!

2. Winter is Coming
Remember, remember the 5th of November, because that is when the snow started flurrying. This November has been pretty cold with a handful of snowstorms throughout the month, though none of the snow has stuck around for long. Still, I hope this means a White Christmas and a healthy snowpack. (Also, I need to read A Dance with Dragons before the next season of Game of Thrones [and the possible spring release of The Winds of Winter... Ha!].)

3. Midwinter Graces
Six years ago, Tori Amos released a holiday album—and reader, I did not buy it. I was disappointed with her previous album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin which was released only months prior; I was not feeling "Snow Angel," the free iTunes download; and while my two favorite Christmas songs have and always will be Tori's versions of "Little Drummer Boy" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," this was an album of original compositions. Also, the cover art is terrible (and terrifying). But this year I did buy the album on iTunes, partly because it was on sale, and I have to say that I am rather enjoying it. While these are original songs, snatches of familiar carols wind their ways through the new tunes. "Snow Angel" continues to not be my favorite, but I really enjoy "Star of Wonder," "Holly, Ivy and Rose," and "Winter's Carol" (which was totally repackaged for The Light Princess) among others. Midwinter Graces is an album of holiday mysticism with as many mentions of the Holly King as the baby Jesus; also each track corresponds to one of the four classical elements (though I could not tell you which goes with which without looking it up).

4. Treat Yo Self
There was a Friday that was quite disheartening, and I was not ready to go home after work, and I just thought if only there was a café I could go to—and it came to me in a flash, Gourmandise! which is a French-inspired bakery and café downtown. I had a glass of wine, a slice of mushroom quiche, and macarons while I read my book for an hour. It was restorative and humanizing.

5. i iz sick
I got a cold this month (I get about 1.5 colds per year), and while the symptoms were fairly mild, it lasted much longer than normal. (Perhaps that's what I get for using store-brand Cold-Eeze.) However, coupled with the cold weather, it was an excellent time for drinking hot toddies. I start with a hot honey lemon water base, and then I add a generous "tot" of brandy, which, as Alexandra Fuller's father knows, is totally medicinal. I sometimes add spices, but after once mistaking paprika for cinnamon, I have let well enough alone.

6. 25
Here are a few thoughts about Adele's new album. I do think that "Hello," which we have all heard a million times, is the stand-out song which is why it's the first single and the opening track. "When We Were Young" is also a good second single. My other favorites include "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)," "Water Under the Bridge," and "River Lea" all three of which are pretty up-tempo and catchy. Most of the other songs I could take or leave, and I don't think any of the tracks are as good as "Rolling in the Deep" or "Someone Like You," so over-all I give the album a medium. (Also, how pissed do you think Taylor is that Adele waited until she was on the cover of GQ's November issue "T.S. Rules the World" to be like "Hello, it's me!"?)

7. All the Pies
I attended three Thanksgiving dinners. I went to my aunt & uncle's for Thursday, and then I had two Friendsgivings over the weekend. And I made four pies: pecan, two pumpkin, and an apple. I also entertained the notion of making a tarte Tatin, but sanity carried the day. Pies are not as easy as ... pie, they are hard work, and between jobs, traveling, a holiday concert, and continuous pie-making/dish-washing, it was not exactly a relaxing holiday. But it was good to see family and friends, give thanks, and eat butter.

8. Giving Thanks for TV
Some of my favorite TV episodes are set at Thanksgiving, though—due to busyness and pie-making—I sadly did not get to all of them. "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving" is essential Gilmore Girls viewing. I love both of The West Wing's offerings: "Shibboleth" and "The Indians in the Lobby." I started watching the Friends' T-Day episodes from the beginning, but I didn't get to my two favorites: "The One with Brad Pitt the Rumor" and "The One Where Ross Got High." I also did not get around to "Pangs" from Buffy or any of HIMYM's "Slapsgivings." What are your favorite Thanksgiving-themed TV episodes?

9. Books
I finished many much more books this month, including my book-club book, Ready Player One, which is an enjoyable futuristic, 80s-themed adventure novel. It also gave me anxiety dreams whenever I read it before bed. I read David Mitchell's short haunted-house novel, Slade House, over the break, which was inventive and disturbing. I've almost finished National Book Award winner Challenger Deep, which was actually quite difficult to get into, but is a fascinating YA novel about mental illness. I finished the graphic adaptation of Swann's Way, which was reasonably easy to read and follow, though I can't say I loved the story. However, I still plan to read the novel (eventually...), and I think this will have been a good introduction. I also finished Shadow of Night, the second novel in what I will continue to call the Twilight series for the adult-set. Set in 1590s Europe, it was an enjoyable historical fantasy.

10.  That Moveable Feast
I have set aside my first $500 for Paris. I'm coming back for you! Though I've really fallen behind practicing my French on my Duolingo... I don't really have anything to say about Paris attacks except that it's heartbreaking and that, in all the reaction, Berry's essay "Thoughts in the Presence of Fear" continues to be relevant fourteen years later.

Now, excuse me while I go eat leftover pie and watch Dan in Real Life. And may everyone have a very merry December.

No comments:

Post a Comment