Monday, February 29, 2016

February: 10ish Things

Galentine's Weekend 
      
  • I spent the long holiday weekend with three of my best gal pals. ("Best friend isn't a person, it's a tier.") On Friday, Elise and I got our Will & Grace party on complete with a baguette and brie from Trader Joe's. Delightful.
  • On Saturday (Galentine's Day proper), Sam and I had a full day. First we had an amazing afternoon Italian dinner at Siragusa's. Everything was so tasty and the garlic cheese bread... *nomnomnom*
    Then we attempted to make French macarons. (But first, we had to run to Bed, Bath & Beyond, because even though Sam told me she had pans *lol*, she did not, in fact, have cookie sheets.) It did not go well. I blame part of it on the recipe we used (though I should definitely not have mixed in that egg white in the food processor). Also, the pastry bag we were using fell apart mid-piping. So they ended up looking like this. The ones on the left are ours; the ones on the right are from Trader Jacques. Pinterest fail! They were, however, quite delicious. Then we watched Bridge of Spies (finally caught up on all the Best Picture nominees) and Far from the Madding Crowd (which we originally planned to see back in May). Carey Mulligan and Matthias Schoenaerts: so very attractive.
  • On Monday, I had lunch with Ellen at our favorite Thai restaurant. She's a teacher, so we basically only see each other on school holidays, and most of the time it's at Thai Mano. It's our thing—and they have the best curry puffs! This is us now; after all, we are turning 30 this year! and we'll have to think of something awesome to do to celebrate.
  • It didn't happen over the holiday weekend, as Kristen was then busy in Seattle (without me!), but we finally hung out last weekend at our favorite spot, The Bayou. We also just happened to be there during Firkin Friday, which was delightful. We caught up, cheated on our diets, and got a good buzz going.
More Adventures in the Kitchen
I got into drinking kombucha tea last year, and while it is delicious (and probiotic!), it is also expensive and comes in glass bottles—and we don't have recycling. =( So I decided to follow The Kitchn's guide and brew my own! It did require a certain outlay from obtaining a SCOBY to buying a set of swing-top bottles, but the process is fairly easy and the first batch was quite tasty (and I didn't die!). It was, however, not very fizzy. The Kitchn promised it would be carbonated within 3 days of bottling (which is what I followed), but another website said it could take 1-2 weeks. So we'll see how the next batch goes. And I think I might add hibiscus next time. Ooh.

This Month in Hamilton
The highlight of this month's Grammy Awards was the performance of the opening number "Alexander Hamilton" live from Broadway's Richard Rodgers Theatre. I almost passed out from excitement! (Another high point: Lin-Manuel Miranda's acceptance speech. Adorbs.) The most depressing news from the Grammys was that "Who is Alexander Hamilton?" search spiked on Google ("America forgot him"). In other Hamilton/book news, I checked out a new book that dropped that same time as the soundtrack (fortuitous timing), War of Two: Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, and the Duel that Stunned the Nation by John Sedgwick. There is also a book that came out a couple of years ago, Jefferson and Hamilton: The Rivalry that Forged a Nation. And, yes, I also plan on reading Ron Chernow's biography sooner or later. Information I've gleaned from Hamilton is also illuminating my reading of Lafayette in the Somewhat United States. Also, this story about Miranda saving The Drama Book Shop just might bring tears to your eyes. I can't wait for the Tonys! Also, Sam now wants us to go see Hamilton—good luck!
Fun Home
Last year's big Tony winner was the new musical Fun Home (which was nominated alongside Hamilton at the Grammys). It is based on one of my favorite all-time books, Alison Bechdel's graphic memoir of the same name. And while it took me two years, we finally got the book in the collection at the county library this month! Anyway, I listened to the Original Cast Recording last summer, and fell in love. This month I decided to buy the new Broadway Cast Recording. (I actually prefer the original for a few reasons: Alexandra Socha as Medium Alison left the show and was replaced, "Al for Short" was replaced with "Party Dress," and more non-essential dialogue was included. Sadly the original recording is no longer available.) Nevertheless, it's a great coming-of-age musical based on a great book. Check it out!

Game of Thrones
I finally started the fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series after buying the book last March (its thickness intimidated me). I plan on finishing it before the series returns to HBO in April (even if most of what happens in A Dance With Dragons was already included in the last season). I am also re-watching the entire series before the premiere. Another series that also returns in April, but is otherwise complete different: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt! which I am also re-watching.

Hey Marseilles
This a great local band; that location being Seattle. I saw them a couple of times when I lived up there and greatly enjoyed their first album To Travels and Trunks. Their sound is indie folk/chamber pop (sometimes employing an accordion and mandolin!). I missed their second record, but their third, self-titled album came out earlier this month, and I have been enjoying it. While the first album is loose, folk-y (by way of French polka), and full of surprising turns-of-phrase, Hey Marseilles is a tighter, poppier effort. It starts off with a strong driving beat in "Eyes On You." "West Coast" is giving me some Death Cab vibes while "Perfect OK" is throwing me some Paul Simon. And there's a dreamy/trance-y cover of "Heroes." They're coming to SLC in March, and I think I might go out to see them. Anyone want to join me?
 
High Tea
Our book club met this month at the lobby of The Grand America Hotel for afternoon tea and literary discussion. Unlike most book clubs, our group skews male, and we may have been the only four guys at tea that day. Anyway, we ate delicious sandwiches and pastries whilst contemplating The Myth of Sisyphus and the Absurd. Meanwhile, Elyse and Hadley were quite entranced by the flowering tea. We now have an expedition to the ballet planned. Our book club is classy AF.

No Dames
Elise and I went to see Hail, Caesar!, and while it was not the Coen Bros romp like the trailer suggested, it was an interesting film. (The folks over at PCHH liked it a lot.) The best parts are the classic, genre movie vignettes that are hung on the rather strange, shaggy plot of the main film. Our favorite bit was the Channing Tatum sailor dance number, "No Dames" which riffs on those Gene Kelly/Fred Astaire sailor films like On the Town and Anchors Aweigh as well as the South Pacific song "There's Nothing Like a Dame." Worth the price of admission.

Oscah Fevah
So the Oscars were Sunday, and they were so much better (and more political) than last month's Globes. Chris Rock made funny yet pointed (and sometimes problematic) observations about #OscarsSoWhite and sold a lot of Girl Scout cookies. Joe Biden introduced Lady Gaga who performed "Til It Happens to You" with sexual assault victims. The Big Short said no to Wall Street candidates. And winners Jenny Beaver and Leonardo DiCaprio brought up climate change in their speeches. I was happy that Leo and Brie won, that Spotlight beat out The Revenant for Best Picture, and that Mad Max: Fury Road cleaned up the technical categories. We ate brie and pecan quesadillas, individual cherry chocolate pies, and drank Brooklyns (made with Irish whiskey) in honor of my favorite film of the bunch. Delicious.

How many things was that? I lost count. See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment