Monday, April 20, 2009

What's in a Name?

I would like to thank Lianablog tumblr thing for this formula and TBTL for sharing it. Liana writes, "Eric and I recently discovered a shared fascination with the slew of impossibly named NPR hosts we listen to every day: Renee Montagne, Steve Inskeep, Corey Flintoff, Korva Coleman, Kai Ryssdal, Dina Temple-Raston.

"In fact, we've often wondered what it would be like to be one of them. A Nina Totenberg or a Renita Jablonski. A David Kestenbaum or a Lakshmi Singh. Even (on our most ambitious days) a Cherry Glaser or a Sylvia Poggioli.

"So finally, after years of Fresh Air sign-off ambitions, we came up with a system for creating our own NPR Names. Here's how it works: You take the middle initial and insert it somewhere into your first name. Then you add on the smallest foreign town you've ever visited."

So I've toyed with a few different options. Gregsory and Gregorsy, but I think I like Gresgory the best. Unfortunately, I am not well travelled, which does not allow for an amazing NPR last name. I think London would be a bitchin' last name, but the smallest foreign town I've been to is actually Stratford-upon-Avon which is
ΓΌber-lame (as a surname as well as the town itself. Suck it Shakespere!) If only I had gone to Bath or Brighton. So I'm thinking of just going with Stratford or Avon. Gregorsy Avon? What is your NPR name?

This is Gresgory Stratford for NPR News.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I don't know that I listen to enough NPR to really rate an NPR name...and I'd have to hunt through a whole lot of travel journals to find the smallest foreign town I've been to (I sort of suspect it was that Ethiopian village I went to in Egypt the summer after I graduated high school, or maybe that town on the mountain in Italy. I'm not even going near the French towns where we've stayed).

    Gresgory Stratford. I like it. Lakshmi Singh is actually a fairly common name - I knew lots of girls growing up named Lakshmi, and a whole lot of people with the last name Singh. I like the name Lakshmi (we called them all Laku for short) because Lakshmi is a seriously awesome goddess. If you go for that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Mine is "Rare View."

    PS Thanks for stopping by. I am associated with someone of means, but that is one tie I don't want to make...yet. Of course, I always love your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PSS I like your playlist a lot and sometimes I load your page and then just listen to the music. Also, I feel everything 200% but still need a occasional dip into the barrel to feel better. I have pity for those who won't allow themselves the out of alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm let's see.

    Margy El Sazual

    I haven't been very many places, and really i'm not sure if i've actually been to El Sazual or if it was just outer Ensenada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregory my dear, you are wonderful, and i really do appreciate your little comment of love. I know i'd still write even if no one read anything, but it's always nice to hear that someone cares. I'll tell you one thing though, the first time you commented on my blog i got SO excited. Random praise from you meant/means a lot to me. You are awesome. and yea for blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ekrin Mazatlan. . . I'd rather be Nina Totenberg or Lakshmi Singh. At least I can promise something better for my own children.

    ReplyDelete