Friday, November 20, 2009

Music For Your Weekend

I'm awake in the wee hours of Friday morning, but it's the weekend nonetheless, especially for me since I don't have classes on Friday. However, I have a major group project that I will be working on tomorrow, actually later today, and the rest of the weekend. Boo. But forgetting about that for a moment, I am patently ripping off TBTL's segment "Music for Your Weekend" wherein they showcase new-ish songs every Friday for the listener's weekend listening pleasure. My selections aren't new songs per se except to me and perhaps you as well. Anyway, these are three songs that I've been listening to a lot this week, and if you happen to be bored with all the music currently on your iPod (or Zune, Dain), you might take a gander at one of these. Enjoy!

The Other Other Wainwright
My first song is by Martha Wainwright, daughter of Loudon and sister of Rufus, and the song is "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole." As you can probably tell, the lyrics are explicit. In contrast to her brother's polished, seductive voice and lush arrangements, Martha strips down the music to some sparse guitar and her voice is raw in its crooning not entirely unlike Liz Phair. And the song reminds me a little bit, oddly, of Avril's "I'm With You" only better. The song can be found on the EP of the same title or Martha's eponymous album.


Hey Seattle
I heard about local Seattle band Hey Marseilles on TBTL and bought their album To Travels and Trunks on iTunes over the summer, but only lately have I gotten into the record. The band has seven members and even more instruments including a mandolin and accordion giving it a European flavor hence their name. A few of the tracks are purely instrumental, but the songs with lyrics are artfully crafted and sincere. Here is their most popular number "Rio" which has excellent lines like "There are always Brazilian boys to discover" and "Drink till the morning becomes yesterday." And who doesn't love a song with clapping?


Reading Camus
This is actually off of a recommendation by Regina Spektor from some radio show she was on. It's called "I Don't Want to Get Over You" by the Magnetic Fields from 69 Love Songs. (Dirty!) It's a short song that I just love; a self-aware number about the exquisite agony (and pleasure) that comes after love when you're not quite ready to let go. My favorite lines are "I could . . . smoke clove cigarettes and drink vermouth / Like I was 17 that would be a scream."


Speaking of Regina...
Here's a bonus song. Her latest album Far came out this summer, and as I've already mentioned it is my favorite yet, and I've been listening to it incessantly. Working with five different produces has the odd effect of making it her most cohesive album to date, and there's not a song on it I don't like. With so many excellent songs to choose from--and really you should check out the whole record--I've chosen the first track "The Calculation" which points out that one can't calculate life or love, which is fitting in regards to my last post.

Have a marvelous weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh. Thanks for sharing. I don't listen to the radio at all and prefer to come by new music via others' recommendations, and even if I don't know that I actually ken with your taste, the way you write about what you like makes me want to like it. Immensely.

    I don't have classes on Fridays either, and yet I find myself in the law school commons perusing your blog before hitting the books. The weekend, still, is already here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH! I love the Martha song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I don't listen to the radio anymore since moving to Seattle. Driving is such a hastle. But even when I was in SLC, I mostly listened to NPR. So it's my NPR listening that has suffered. =(

    Rae, I knew you would like the Martha song. =)

    ReplyDelete