Monday, February 15, 2010

Crushing on Dead White Guys

So this weekend was a double-whammy: Valentine's Day and President's Day. Seeing as how I'm single and already enjoy four-day weekends, this weekend didn't really have any draws for me, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

On Friday, I was working on a paper for my Research Methods class. The paper only had to be five-pages long which is nothing, but in it I had to describe and analyze a thirty-page research design, drawing on three additional sources, and offering two implications for information science. In five pages! and anyone who reads this blog knows that I can be verbose. As usual I put if off until the last minute, so when I wasn't in class on Friday, I was in the computer lab on a caffeine high furiously typing away. Until five o'clock that is, when I was diving into a caffeine crash and it was time to attend Live Free, Drink Hard: a cohort-wide event at the College Inn Pub. Anyway, beer has a revitalizing effect, as does a loud, noisy environ. I only meant to stay for an hour or two before finishing my paper, but people kept buying pitchers, I was bonding with my cohort, and the opening ceremony was on! So five and a half hours and many, many beers later, I left quite tired and emotional. I got home at 10:45, one hour before my paper was due, so I slapped on my implications, a conclusion, ran spell check, and that was that. Boom, bam baby! The paper's shite, but it's done, and I don't have to think about it for a while. Still, I had so much fun on Friday--it's true what they say, alcohol is a social lubricant.

On Saturday, I didn't do much of anything except watch almost all of the third season of Sex and the City. I also made goat cheese and sun dried tomato profiteroles--which didn't quite turn out like Giada's--but were still pretty good even if they should be called gougeres, since profiteroles are technically sweet. That night I ran to the grocery store to pick up a few basics that I had ran out of (and a bottle of wine), and even though I stuck to my list and tried to shop smart, it still put me out $100 bucks. And later that night I watched Annie Hall which was, okay... I don't know, I didn't really like it--is that okay to say as a movie buff? I liked Match Point and Vicky Christina Barcelona so it's not just a Woody Allen thing. Maybe it's a Woody Allen thing in New York in the '70s.

On Sunday I woke up semi-early by which I meant I didn't sleep in until noon, to go walking at Green Lake Park. I went with Janelle, and Meagan was supposed to join us, but she didn't wake up in time. Anyway we had a lovely walk and conversation and the tulips will be in bloom in about a week. That's insane! It's the middle of February. Janelle said her allergies are already on the fritz, but I haven't had any symptoms yet. When I first moved to Cedar City and when I moved back to Salt Lake, my allergies were really light, but the longer I stayed in one place the worse they got. So this year might be nice, but next year might not be. We'll have to wait and see. After walking we made our way over to Ballard and got breakfast, at about one in the afternoon, at Senor Moose Cafe, a hole-the-wall place that always has a crowd and real-good Mexican food, though I have to say I still love the Red Iguana more. After stuffing my face with huevos rancheros and strong coffee, we explored the Ballard Sunday Farmers Market which was nice but I didn't buy anything.

I came home thinking that Netflix had sent me the next disc of Queer As Folk but they had sent Maurice instead, which I guess is sort of like the Merchant Ivory predecessor. So I instead turned on the TV and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was on HBO so I watched that, and then 17 Again came on, so I watched that for a little bit just because Thomas Lennon is comedy gold: "Are you now, or have you ever been, a Norse god, a vampire, or a time-traveling cyborg?" Then I thought I wanted to watch Chicago but I just really wanted to watch "Cell Block Tango." So I was at a loss of what to watch with my chocolate espresso bar and my bottle of Francis Coppola Pinot Noir. Now I had thought that I had had Coppola's Pinot Noir before, maybe it was just a different vintage (or maybe it was his Syrah instead), and it was just fine, but the 2008 I got this time is freaking amazing! I've had Pinot before but I never really got the hype--thanks Paul Giamatti--but last night I finally understood. So. Good! Finally I decided to download a Battlestar Galactica episode, and even though I purchased the wrong one, it was still amazing. My gods, I love BSG!

And then I spent the rest of the night working on a little something for next Saturday. Speaking of which I fly out to St. Louis on Friday--holla!--where Slarue will join me to celebrate dearest Rae's 40th. It's going to be lovely. Before that happens I need to write the first draft of my Information in Social Contexts paper. There are only three weeks left in the quarter people! Every day I change my opinion on quarters vs. semesters. Today, I'm against them. My paper will be about one or more of the following topics: privacy, surveillance, information, and/or libraries. Do you think it could be any broader. So today, I need to read some articles, and then later I'm going downtown for happy hour. and sushi--which I've never had before. We'll see how it goes.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend, especially if you are in love and/or got today off. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if I was the "they" who first referred to alcohol as a social lubricant? Probably not, but something in my brain is going, "YES! YES, that was us!"

    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cell Block Tango is probably my favorite number from Chicago, too. And yeah, the geek lord in 17 Again was pretty golden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made it out to have fun. I was just a little concerned when I got your FB message. :) I kind of wish we had a quarter system, even if you dislike it at the moment. I just want to feel like I've accomplished something more often than once a semester. I hope your next paper goes at least as well as this last one. More importantly, though, have fun in St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete