Monday, February 1, 2010

This Post is Brought to You by Netflix

So it's a Monday, and usually on Mondays I am pretty productive. But not today. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get some work done. Anyway, I just wanted to share a few thoughts with you all.

First of all, nice work friendos on iconic performances. I now need to see a lot of old movies, and I spent a good portion of today adding titles to my Netflix queue. Friendsourcing works!

Some of you may have seen a preview for Starz's new TV series Spartacus: Blood and Sand. You probably thought it looked kind of awful but also like it was a trailer for 300 with all the sex and gore, and 300 was pretty good. Well, Spartacus: Blood and Sand is available for instant viewing on Netflix, and since I decided I wasn't doing anything today, I thought I'd take a gander at it. My friends, it is awful. First of all, the first episode is taken straight from Gladiator, only instead of an award-winning Ridley Scott film with Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, and Richard Harris, it's a Starz series with Lucy Lawless and other actors... Anyway, it has a lot of violence, sex, and profanity cuz, ya know, that's how the Romans rolled. Now I didn't really love Rome but that's a much, much better series that depicts, I think, a bit more realistic portrayal of Rome and its people. Spartacus is also super-stylized like it wanted to be 300 even if that was about the Spartans. But 300 is a pretty good film adapted from Frank Miller's graphic novel. So even if the first episode was Gladiator, the series is about Spartacus the guy who leads the slave revolt, ya know like in Stanley Kubrick's classic film Spartacus (which I still haven't seen). So if you ever feel tempted to watch Blood and Sand just watch one of these options instead. I promise you they're much better.

Speaking of Spartacus (the good one), Tom Carson says that if you Netflix that in tandem with Braveheart you're looking at the 2012 Democratic and Republican Conventions. Awesome. He also gives his Top Ten picks for 2009 in case you're interested. Now I have even more movies to see. By the way, did I mention that I'm upset that the Oscars are doubling the Best Picture category, because I am. What a shame. And here, Tom Carson breaks down Avatar. Pretty Sweet.

And if that didn't do it for you. Here's a pretty sweet review of Avatar. Thank you YouTube. Now I didn't hate Avatar, but I didn't like it all that much either. I'm glad I saw it, but I probably won't see it again.


Happy Monday! and February. When did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment