Monday, July 5, 2010

And So This is Summer

Well, it's July 5th, the unofficially official start of summer in Seattle. It's 56 degrees outside and cloudy. Awesome. (P.S. America, July 5th is not a frickin' holiday.) Ready or not, it's time for my summer playlist, which is largely founded on last year's but with some changes. I've limited myself to 20 songs which can easily be burned onto a CD so I can play it in my car if I ever manage to get my car registered.

"All I Really Want" Alanis Morissette
I think my mom would really identify with this song if she was the type of person who would ever listen to Alanis. However, the reason it's on my playlist is because it makes for excellent car jamming.

"Soak Up the Sun" Sheryl Crow
I will happily soak up any sun that Seattle proffers. And when it's cold and dreary outside, I will pretend I'm in SoCal instead.

"Rio" Hey Marseilles
Their album, To Travels and Trunks, was just (re)released, and I love their European, orchestral vibe. Besides, their travelogues are perfect for summer.
"Set your sights straight now, don't forget pain / Drink till the morning becomes yesterday / Think of the shorelines you have yet to see." And there are always Brazilian boys to discover!

"Read My Mind" The Killers
This song, for me, conjures up images of Main Street America and summers in small towns.

"Bouncing Off Clouds" Tori Amos
One of Tori's simpler songs, it's still one my favorites, and the 4/4 drum beat makes it unusually good for summer. Reflecting on love lost and found, the crisis of a relationship, and the way we used to bounce off clouds.

"Vindicated" Dashboard Confessional
Yes, I fell in love with this song way back in high school after watching Spider-Man 2, but I still love it. a lot. The energy's great for summer too.

"Los Angeles" Sugarcult
The sun is burning down the City of Angels in this highly angsty tune.
"I want a girl that won't talk back / And a job that gives me slack / And a car that won't break down." Is that too much to ask for?

"Holiday from Real" Jack's Mannnequin
My summer, sans job, currently feels a lot like a holiday from real.
"Being poor was never better / A safety buzz, some cheap red wine / Oh, the trouble we can get in / So let's screw this one up right." Fuck yeah.

"To the Dogs or Whoever" Josh Ritter
This song, rolling along at a breakneck pace, showcases Ritter's penchant for allusive and catchy songwriting.
"Lemonade on your breath, sun in your hair / Did I mention how I love you in your underwear?"

"Home" Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Currently nominated for TBTL's song of the summer, this song just makes me feel happy. This duet reminds of something I can't quite place my finger on and yet offers a breathe of fresh air.
"Laugh until we think we'll die / Barefoot on a summer night / Nothing could be sweeter than with you." Because home is wherever I'm with you.

"Daylight Robbery" Imogen Heap
"Heading towards the city light / Winking diamonds at me / Arms stretched out now." It's time to take advantage of the summer and the city and to sway in the sonic joy.

"White Houses" Vanessa Carlton
I don't know what else I can say about this song that I haven't already. It's an anthem to being young, alive, and in love during the summer.

"Mr. Brightside" The Killers
What can I say? It's still my favorite Killers' song, and I think it's excellent for the summer.

"1901" Phoenix
TBTL chose this song as the song of the summer last year even though it didn't catch on until December. The problem with TBTL's summer song selection is that they can never decided whether or not they want to predict the song that will actually dominate the airwaves that summer or choose their own indie anthem. Still, "1901" is a great song, and I played it constantly last summer.

"Hold the Morning" Hey Marseilles
"Take the time for townships and classics to be read / Finding all the soft skin that will fit in a feather bed." I will sit back, relax, and hold my head to the sun.

"California" Rufus Wainwright
This is Wainwright's tongue-in-cheek ode to the Golden State. His take on the sun, sand, and surf? "You're such a wonder that I think I'll stay in bed."

"Dark Blue" Jack's Mannequin
This was probably my favorite song on my playlist last year. Perfect for all those times you feel alone even when surrounded by people or whenever the night is the perfect shade of dark blue.

"Stolen" Dashboard Confessional
The perfect anthem for Labor Day weekend and an ode to the transience of summer.
"Catch the last weekend of the last week / Before the gold and glimmer have been replaced / Another sun-soaked season fades away." I play it all summer to remind to me to make the most of it.

"Summer in the City" Regina Spektor
You seriously didn't think I wouldn't have this song on my list, did you? It evokes the loneliness and melancholia of summer, wandering from protests to late-night establishments. And of course, "summer in the city means cleavage, cleavage, cleavage."

"Long Shadows" Josh Ritter
One of my favorites by Ritter, this song is perfect for when those long summer evenings (and parties) end, and we travel home in the dark.
"I'm not afraid of the dark when the sun goes down / And the dreams grow teeth and the beasts come out."

Honorable Mentions:
(all of which feature prerequisite rapping!)
"Starry Eyed Surprise" Paul Oakenfold. 2004 was a crappy summer for me, but watching the Diet Coke commercial on TV, I thought somewhere out there people are breaking out in an impromptu skating party in some empty parking lot, and I want to go to there.
"Airplanes" B.o.B. Another TBTL summer song nominee this year (and #5 on the charts). "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? / I could really use a wish right now." Me too.
"Billionaire" Travie McCoy. Yes it raps, but it's also light, summery, and funny. And though it's behind "California Gurls" and "Airplanes" on the charts, this could easily be the song of the summer: 2010!

So what are you listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment