Thursday, August 12, 2010

Brief Update

Recently, a slew of friends have gotten married or engaged, and while I'm happy for them, I am reminded of the superbly solipsistic Lady Augusta Bracknell: "I do not know whether there is anything particularly exciting in the air of this particular part of Hertfordshire, but the number of engagements that goes on seems to me considerably above the proper average that statistics have laid down for our guidance." Indeed, so the rest of you can just stop it.

Last Thursday, Maggie, Lillian, and I played cards and sipped tea in Wallingford, had sandwiches downtown at Specialty's (omg!), and bought hiking supplies at REI. I got a Klean Kanteen bottle and Smart Wool hiking socks. Then Maggie and I trudged all over Capitol Hill before getting cocktails at Chapel. It was a long but lovely day.

On Saturday, the three of us got up bright and early and made our way to Mount Rainier National Park. When we got close to the entrance there was a traffic jam and apparently some kind of horrific accident and the entrance was closed. So we drove another hour or so to an entrance at the opposite side of the park and ate lunch. Then we finally did some hiking and the views were spectacular (sadly, I left my camera in the car so there are no pictures). Then we drove all the way back to Seattle, and once I dropped off Maggie and Lillian--the vegetarians--I got a Dick's burger because greasy diner food is always necessary after getting close to nature (which I usually prefer to look at from a distance or watch on television).

Earlier this week I made the most amazing vodka tomato sauce featured on Barefoot Contessa. This is Nick and Toni's Penne alla Vecchia Bettola and it is ... there are no words. Go buy a bottle of vodka and some San Marzano tomatoes, and make this sauce; you will not regret it. It's better than anything I've had in an Italian restaurant and only rivaled by things my uncle, who lived in Italy for a couple of years, makes.

In a week and half, I'll be moving a few miles north. It shouldn't be too bad, but moving is one of my least favorite things ever, and then I'll have to buy some furniture. It'll be nice to be moved, I just don't want to do it. So that's me in a nutshell. Check back later for "Who Needs a Movie." You know you're excited!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about moving...and sorry about all the people getting married. Tis the season, I guess. I should try that tomato sauce, I just know nothing of vodka so I wouldn't know what to buy. Iknow it cooks out or whatever, but they say you should only buy stuff you would drink...and well, that makes it hard for me. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chelsea, for the sympathy. Since vodka isn't flavored you can substitute other things like apple cider vinegar, white grape juice, or even water. The alcohol will dissolve and carry flavors that the others won't, but it shouldn't be a big deal. If you do go the vodka route, Smirnoff, Aboslut, or Stoli are all good choices. No need to buy the really expensive stuff, just avoid the really cheap crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. Thanks Greg! I really have no excuse to nor make a bunch of awesome recipes I've had for ages.

    ReplyDelete