Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Song of the Summer

zOMG! Second post in a week! I am starting to think about my summer playlist (a future post to look forward to!), but first we need to decide what the new 2011 summer songs are going to be. The ones blasting out of car stereos and barbecue mixes everywhere. There are the big summer mega-hits like Rihanna's "Umbrella," Beyonce's "Crazy in Love," Gnarls Barkely's "Crazy," Katy Perry's "California Gurls," etc. Then there are the slightly more alternative and indie songs that have great summer energy: Jack's Mannequin's Everything in Transit comes to mind. So what are people going to listen to this summer?

Since I don't listen to the radio or read Picthfork, I have to rely on TBTL which every year tries to answer that question with their TBT ella ella Song of Summer contest. The constant tension lies between predicting the true song of the summer which might end up being Katy Perry or Black Eyed Peas OR choosing the indie/alt song they actually want to listen to all summer. In 2008 listeners chose Little Jackie's "The Stoop" which wasn't actually released as a single, but small details right? In 2009 they chose "1901" by Phoenix, an excellent pick. In 2010 the listeners actually voted in "California Gurls" which was a tragedy for everyone. Currently, they are sifting through the nominees. Some of which are as follows:

Rolling in the Deep by ADELE
First of all, even though I came to the Adele party late, it's amazing! Second of all, it's already huge and probably will continue to be huge throughout the summer. Who can resist that sweet, sweet soul sound? You can't help but dance.


Money Grabber by Fitz and the Tantrums
Another indie-soul song. I like this one a lot too, but I'm not sure how memorable it is.


Price Tag by Jessie J.
This song, released as a single back in January, may still become one of the huge hits this summer.


Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People
This is an indie synthpop band, and this track is pretty chill, maybe too chill to be a summer jam, and slightly repetitive but still good. (Also, the drummer is kind of cute in a classic, all-American way.)



Turn Off This Song and Go Outside by The Lonely Forest
The Lonely Forest is a Washington band that sounds a lot like Death Cab, but this is still a pretty great jam for summer, as evidence by the 4th of July setting.


You Are Not a Robot by Hoodie Allen
I almost always enjoy some white rap (does that make me racist? probably). Anyway, it's a pretty fun song.


Nova by The Sound of Arrows
This is a Swedish pop duo working out of the UK bringing us some sugary 80s-style pop songs with a dose of gayness thrown in for good measure. Who could not love that?


Those seven songs will probably be on my playlist. Some other songs for consideration (that I myself don't quite love) include Lights by Ellie Goulding, Super Bass by Nicki Minaj, Where Not to Look for Freedom by The Belle Brigade, Well OK Honey by Jenny O., and Slippin' by Quadron.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. What music are you going to be listening to this summer?

3 comments:

  1. Greg! We must be on the same wavelength, because I've got a sheet of paper on my desk that I've been collecting my thoughts about the music I've been listening. I'm inspired by your list, and I'm shocked that you mentioned Pumped up Kicks. The album that song's on came out yesterday, and I've listened to it a few times. Pumped up Kicks really is a stand-out song. I had no idea that they'd made a video for it, and was a bit shocked that it's got over 2 million views.

    I'll try and get my music list up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finally able to catch up and return to being the number one reader and commenter (aka Your Biggest Fan).

    I always find out about cool music from you.

    PS Todd Petersen started the 16 Books in 16 Weeks and then I took it up and Mary decided to participate and make it a Blog Event. Just wanting proper citation :D

    Miss you!

    Wait, so what is the plan? You've moved from Seattle? Why packing up the apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. R, I always love your comments! Glad you liked the music. I miss you too. I am set to graduate next week (providing I actually write my last paper this weekend), and then I'm moving back to Utah until I can find a real-life grown-up job.

    Oh, and I know Dr. P started the 16/16. Sorry I did not provide proper citation. ;)

    ReplyDelete