Monday, May 30, 2011

Summer Loving

I mean summer reading.

I should be researching and writing my David Copperfield paper, but that's not due till Friday, so what the hell. Instead of wondering how everything is going to get done--my paper, cleaning before my roommate, friend, and family arrive, and packing up the apartment--I'm watching television. I think it's a much worse time of my holiday, but much more enjoyable.

Anyway, Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of summer, especially if you're already done with school. So I thought I'd post my summer reading list. Last year I went in for the 16 Books in 16 Weeks Challenge and came up short. So I decided to only choose ten books this summer. I was going to add cover art, but it exceeded 1 megagigabyte and Blogger yelled at me.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
For my (un)genrefied book club with Nancy Pearl, we're reading fantasy quest fiction, and I thought I'd take on this 700 page monster. Sadly, I will be back in Utah when the group meets, but I do love me some quest fantasy. Also, I don't have HBO, so I have to read the damn thing.

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
This very well might by the leviathan of my summer reading, but I've always wanted to read this great American novel.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Reading all about David Copperfield has made me want to reread my favorite Dickens novel.

Wise Children by Angela Carter
I love Ms Carter's feminist retelling of fairy tales in The Bloody Chamber, and I've wanted to read one her novels. This was suggested by Slarue and Nancy Pearl.

Old School by Tobias Wolff
This is a slim novel about a boy a prep school and a beastly literary competition.

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
I love the Robber Bridegroom/Mr. Fox/Bluebeard fairy tale, and here Ms Atwood riffs on the familiar tale to explore a femme fatale in the lives of three women.

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
This is a memoir about a young girl growing up in a small town in America's heartland.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
I've long wanted to read this futuristic, dystopian novel, and I recently acquired a free copy.

Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
I love food writing, and this is apparently the best new thing in the genre.

Is Everyone Hanging Out without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Best known as Kelly Kapoor on The Office, I can't wait to read her new book of essays which is apparently like Bossypants only for the younger, single, and childless set.

I hope you're all enjoying Memorial Day like Chloe Sevigny remembering your memories:

Happy Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment