Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Playlist

A week after solstice (which is either the start or mid of summer) I'm almost kinda finally ready to post my summer playlist. Every year there are a lot of new "summer" songs that take over the airwaves and bbq playlists which means that tried and true summer favorites get edged out. Edged out only because I like to burn the playlist to a CD to listen to in the car for road trips or zipping around town--and a CD can only hold approximately 20 songs. So I think this year I might make two playlists: one for new stuff and one for my old favorites.

Let's begin with the new 2011 songs:
Where Not to Look for Freedom by The Belle Brigade
This was not one of my favorite early runners in the TBTL Song of the Summer contest, but it grew on my and is now possibly my favorite of the new songs. The Belle Brigade is an LA band fronted by a brother-sister duo, and this song is about the allure of the road.
Oh and is the only way to find a free feeling on the road / Where you go wherever you want whenever you want

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People
I already wrote about this song. New twist--if you listen to the lyrics, which is hard because they are mumbly, you will learn that this is about an alienated kid going on a shooting spree. Huh. However, the music video is of the band on the beach and performing to a bunch of dancing hipsters.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks / You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun

Rolling in the Deep by Adele
Adele is going to win the Grammy and the pennant and the cake. I love car dancing to this soulful song.
You had my heart inside your hands / And you played it / To the beat

Price Tag by Jessie J
I heard this playing in a mall when I was still in Seattle. It's a lot of fun. And this summer as I'm unemployed I would like to forget the effing price tag of my education.
We just wanna make the world dance / Forget about the price tag

You Are Not a Robot by Hoodie Allen
A pretty fun hip hop song, and I don't even like hip hop very much.
Sometimes I'm just feelin like a robot / Sittin round, hopin that you'll show up

MoneyGrabber by Fitz and the Tantrums
It's a pretty fun soul song, though it also sounds a little generic. Still they generate a lot of sound all without a guitar.
Don't come back anytime, you've already robbed me blind / This is your payback, money grabber

Turn Off This Song and Go Outside by The Lonely Forest
This is a Washington band from Anacortes and their album Arrows was produced by Death Cab's Chris Walla.
Turn off, turn off this song / Find someone to love

Nothing Ever Happens by Rachel Platten
Dain shared this song, and I really dig it. An excellent lighthearted pop song perfect for summer.
Nothing ever happens if you play it safe! / Make a little space / And get out of your own way!


Speaking of the TBTL Song of the Summer--it may have been hijacked by Bruno Mars fans as the winner was The Lazy Song. I don't really like the song, and neither did TBTL so they gave the honorable mention to Well OK Honey by Jenny O. and I don't really care for that song either. Lady Gaga's Edge of Glory had a lot of votes too, and while I do like that song, I don't know if I'm ready to own any Gaga.
...
OK, I'm ready and Edge is going on the playlist.

Other newish songs:
City with No Children by Arcade Fire
The Suburbs came out last summer, but I'm going to hold this song over for another year.
Do you think your righteousness / Can pay the interest on your debt? / I have my doubts about it

Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
I loved this song so much last summer, I have to keep it.
Laugh until we think we'll die / Barefoot on a summer's night / Never could be sweeter than with you

Long Shadows by Josh Ritter
I really like this short and sweet song from his latest album So Runs the World Away.
I'm not afraid of the dark when the sun goes down / And the dreams grow teeth and the beasts come out

Fader by The Temper Trap
I just heard "Sweet Disposition" on the radio today, and while I do love that song, it's so overplayed. So how about this less famous song from the same album?
So hold a hand for cover / Hold a hand for cover from harm

Girls with Accents by Fences
This is an indie Seattle band that sounds a bit like The Decemberists and Rogue Wave (or so I've heard). The album was produced by Sara of Tegan & fame.
And now's my chance to finally kiss you / But I got drunk and I passed out / I'm fucking up, I'm fucking up, I'm fucking up everything

Florence + the Machine
I came to the Lungs party late, but I love that album SO much! Even though it came out in '08, it really blew up last year. I can't decide which song to put on the playlist: Hurricane Drunk, Heavy in Your Arms, Rabbit Heart, Kiss with a Fist, Swimming, Drumming Song, My Boy Builds Coffins? All of them? I don't know.

Mumford and Sons
I heard The Cave on the radio earlier today, but I also love Little Lion Man. Conundrum.

Blue Skies
by Noah and the Whale
I heard this song about a month ago at a Great Harvest, and it made me realize how much I like this song which had been on my 2010 spring playlist. I don't know if it's the most summery of songs, but I'll take it. (Of course, their new album just came out, so maybe I should check that out too.)
I don't think that it's the end / But I know we can't keep going / But blue skies are coming

I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
by Ida Maria
This was a TBTL contender a couple of years ago. LOVE it!
What the hell do I do that for? / You're just some guy! / OK, you're kinda sexy, but you're not really special...

Rio by Hey Marseilles
This is a Seattle band that I've raved about before. I think this is a great, wanderlust-y kind of song.
Drink 'til tomorrow becomes yesterday / Think of the shorelines you have yet to see / Men who will hold you with eyes you believe

So What by P!nk
So what if it's a few years old, it's still awesome.
I'm still a rock star!

That's about it for new songs though I do have some free space left if you care to make any suggestions. Now we move onto The Ultimate Summer Playlist.

All I Really Want by Alanis Morissette
White Houses by Vanessa Carlton
Bouncing Off Clouds by Tori Amos
California by Rufus Wainwright
Daylight Robbery by Imogen Heap
That Time by Regina Spektor
Soak Up the Sun by Sheryl Crow
Boys of Summer by The Ataris
Los Angeles by Sugarcult
Mr. Brightside by The Killers
Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional
Sweet Darlin' by She & Him
Downtown by Petula Clark
5 Years Time by Noah and the Whale
1901 by Phoenix
Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend
Dark Blue by Jack's Mannequin
Read My Mind by The Killers
If It Makes You Happy by Sheryl Crow
Summer in the City by Regina Spektor

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the Rachel Platten song. Even if I only dole out one good suggestion to one person every time I post, it's totally worth it!

    I think a bunch of us got into Florence a bit late. Perhaps we can chalk it up to the distance across the pond. I didn't get really into her stuff last summer. A bunch of her music was heavily featured in the show Covert Affairs, which I watched religiously last summer. There is nothing better than shows that have good music.

    ReplyDelete