Monday, October 3, 2011

October Fest

Oktoberfest may just be ending in Germany, but pumpkin month is just beginning! I heart October. Megan made her own October list, so I decided to make one as well.

I don't know if I'll be able to find any good pumpkin beer this year, Utah being what it is and me living with my family. But I'll try.

I'm excited to make some pumpkin treats. Last year, Heidi really went overboard with the pumpkin, but I loved it. And Megan is cooking up a culinary storm. I think I'll be good with just some pumpkin chocolate cookies and some apple cider.

I am going to keep Netflix for another month so I have stuff to watch. I am in season seven of Buffy and season four of Angel. Maybe I will also watch Twin Peaks which is sure to be disturbingly Lynchian.

I have several movies in my queue right now. This includes Manhunter based on the novel Red Dragon. Michael Mann's movie came out five years before Silence of the Lambs and is supposed to be a lot scarier. Also, I've never seen Carrie so I thought this year would be good for that. Elise lent me Young Frankenstein so that will be good for some laughs. I was trying to decide between the cult classics Halloween (Michael Myers), A Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Krueger), and Friday the 13th (Jason Voorhees), because I don't think I could all three in one year--I'm not a big slasher fan. Currently, I'm planning on Nightmare. Both Let the Right One In and Let Me In are streaming on Netflix. I'm also thinking about Paranormal Activity, Night of the Living Dead, and The Shining which is my favorite horror/thriller movie.

Elise is performing in a couple of plays this month including Baby with the Bathwater this week, and Sweeney Todd closer to Halloween. And I think we'll all go to a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

In honor of Banned Books Week which ended last week, I picked up The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Catcher in the Rye from my library. I never did read Catcher in the Rye when I was in high school or college, so maybe I'll be too old for such an angsty book. For Halloween, I think I'll read Frankenstein which I've never read either. I think it will be more haunting that scary.

3 comments:

  1. Loved Perks of Being a Wallflower. Catcher in the Rye didn't resonate with me like I hoped it would, but hopefully you'll enjoy it more.
    Also, I have a friend who is dedicating October to Pumpkin month on her blog, and I'm doing a guest post at some point about how to make a pumpkin roll (which I made on the first day of October). It's all pumpkin crafts and pumpkin foods, and I'm very excited that I'm not the only one who gets on this bandwagon. Got my fall decorations up this weekend, watched a couple of Vincent Price movies on Instant, and The Innocents just came in the mail! Pumpkin month is off to a great start.

    Also, Frankenstein is wonderful and haunting - so much better than Dracula for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like The Innocents, and I'm looking forward to Frankenstein. Maybe I should make that pumpkin roll. Yay for pumpkin month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know what you think about Frankenstein. You know my thoughts on Dracula (metaphor for Victorian sexuality--all flavors). I loved Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete