Friday, September 23, 2011

10 Things

1) Today is the first day of Fall. Yay! Still it was a pretty warm day; those are nice. It will be cold and wintery soon enough.

2) I went and saw Drive today. Midnight in Paris has been the most delightful film I've seen this year, but I would have to say that so far Drive is the best film I've seen. The movie is entirely in control of itself. It's amazing visually, which is good because Ryan Gosling's character archetype doesn't even have a name (i.e., it's not a talky character piece). It's neo-noir, the visuals are surreal, the violence is brutal, the casting is superb, and the soundtrack is unexpected and interesting and effective. Go. See. It.

3) Ryan Gosling. He's so hot. and perfect. *sigh* I still haven't managed to see Crazy, Stupid, Love (must change that soon, before it leaves theaters), and I'm looking forward to Ides of March.

4) Did you see the Emmys? I love television, and I love awards shows. The best moment happened when the best comedy actress nominees staged a beauty pageant. And Melissa McCarthy won for Bridesmaids Mike & Molly.

Also, Kate Winslet now has an EGO. Time to get that Tony, Kate! Also, Downton Abbey pretty much swept the miniseries category; Poor HBO. If you haven't seen Downton Abbey, you have an incredible seven hours of TV ahead of you! I can't wait for season two to come to PBS in January.

5) Amy Poehler. Sadly, I missed last night's premiere of Parks and Recreation as I was having drinks with Kristen. But that just means I have an episode to look forward to very soon. Yay for the Internet.

6) New Girl. It's the new show starring Zooey Deschanel. The pilot was so great, I've watched it three times! Even though it has a few problems, I'm sure those will get ironed out soon. Check it out!

7) Seattle. Yesterday, I was trying to find a bar in SLC, I thought of all the many bars I knew and loved in Seattle. And earlier this week, a couple of Mormon friends asked me what they should do when they go to Seattle in a few weeks--I couldn't think of anything except bars. But later, I did think of lots of non-alcoholic things to do and sent them a very long itinerary. It made me just a little homesick(is that the right term?) and a bit newstalgic. I hated grad school, but it turns out I kind of liked Seattle.

8) Stupid Jobs. I still have not found a job yet. Boo. However, there are some entry-level jobs opening up at the San Francisco public library. Yay! I'm not getting my hopes up, but how awesome would SF be? And I don't even want to go to California. By the way, did you know that San Francisco is a consolidated city-county?

9) Facebook. Every time Facebook changes, people bitch and moan, and then other people bitch and moan about the first bitchers/moaners. I just tried to put my big girl panties on and adapt to the changes, because sooner or later we all do. Resistance is futile. But now I'm really not sure how to use Facebook anymore. and the Ticker thing pisses me off to an unreasonable degree. Lame.

10) Ten...ten...ten..? I don't know. Oh, Tori Amos's latest studio album came out. I have not bought it. yet. It's a song cycle riffing off a lot of classical pieces (she is a classically trained pianist), I've listened to some of it; none of it has caught my attention. Too arty. Tori can do what she wants, but I wish she would get back to her roots and make an album similar to those circa 1992-2002. Or stop making albums and just tour a lot. Also, the Netflix/ Qwickster thing is pissing me off. Oh, and I had Arby's today for the first time in .... well, a really long time. Delicious.

5 comments:

  1. I watched the New Girl premiere. I thought it was delightful, and was disappointed when the 30 minutes were up. So many nerdy references, it's like Big Bang Theory in reverse.

    Your use of the word 'newstalgic' also just changed my life. I can't wait to work that into conversation.

    Finally, the mass hysteria in regards to facebook always baffles me. I personally think the ticker is a bit annoying, but I can't understand why people are upset about the other changes. I really like the new security settings, which make it really easy to determine on a post-by-post basis who I want to see what. For example I could share with a high school group, dental school kiddos, or just my few close buddies. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear you found a job in SF! I'd also love to hear a Tori album that was real and riveting again. I feel like a pop-slacker for not knowing who Ryan Gosling is. Mostly, though, I feel kind of funny for not realizing there were changes on facebook. I guess I should get on there more often again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dain, newstalgic is a great word! The thing I dislike most about the ticker is that it seems info will still get shared if other people's settings are not private. and most users are not very good about caring about their privacy (settings).

    Kristen, Ryan Gosling is the guy The Notebook. Now you better know who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the FB info about Ryan Gosling. I think I know who he is now. He's hot and all, but I think I'm happier with Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) It was a rainy, cool day here on the first day of fall. I rather liked it.

    2) I'm quite happy to read your opinion on Drive. I've been uncertain about going to see it and I usually trust your opinion on film. Now I'll watch it.

    3) RG is absolutely hot. My god. Lizzi and I saw Crazy Stupid Love and he's the nicest thing in it. The plot is interesting but the way it all ties together seems very contrived and insulting.

    4) I did not see the Emmys, but I lovelovelove Melissa McCarthy.

    5) Abigail loves Parks and Rec. Never watched it.

    6) We watched New Girl. There was something vaguely interesting in it that prompts me to keep watching, though I can't exactly point to what's compelling me. Kind of like ZD.

    7) I understand your feelings about Seattle. It's so lovely. I'll miss my mom living there so I can see Seattle while seeing her. Now she's in OKC. Not quite as interesting.

    8) I think you'd love SF. It's progressive and cosmopolitan, just like you.

    9) I heard a brief piece on NPR about facebook and the general disenchantment with it. Someone called it AdBook. I concur.

    10) Next time you're here, I'm taking you to Lion's Choice. You'll never want Arby's again.

    Love the list. Love you.

    ReplyDelete