Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fall Reflections

With the changing of the seasons, it's time for a new playlist. Summer is the time for loud, energetic anthems about the sun and surf. For fall, I enjoy softer, moodier, and darker songs of melancholy that allow for reflection. Here are the songs with an autumnal atmosphere, at least I think so.

New(ish) Additions:
Honey Come Home by The Head and the Heart
"oh god, I love my vices / but they've taken me to places / that I'd never thought I'd go / and I am ready to be home"
Fun fact: I saw The Head and the Heart open for Hey Marseilles. They were both awesome. Sometimes I miss Seattle.

Dead Hearts by Stars
"was there one you saw too clearly? / did they seem too real to you? / they were kids that I once knew / now they're all dead hearts to you"
Fun fact: I first heard this song on the Like Crazy trailer.

9 Crimes by Damien Rice (with Lisa Hannigan)
"it's the wrong kind of place to be thinking of you / it's the wrong time for somebody new / I give my gun away when it's loaded / is that all right, yeah? / if you don't shoot it how am I supposed to hold it?"

Blinding by Florence + the Machine
"no more calling like a crow for a boy, for a body in the garden / no more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world"
Fun fact: While most of Lungs has disturbing imagery, especially of death, this is the track that I find most creepy. OK, so that was more of an opinion than a fact.


Quelqu'un m'a dit by Carla Bruni
"que tu m'amais encore, me l'a-t-on vraiment dit / que tu m'amais encore, serait-ce possible alors?"
Fun fact: Carla Bruni, First Lady of France, appeared in Midnight in Paris as the Musee Rodin guide.

Down in the Valley
by The Head and the Heart
"Down in the valley with / whiskey rivers / these are the places you will find me hidin' / these are the places I will always go"
Fun fact: The Head and the Heart's self-titled album is awesome. If you like Mumford & Sons, check them out.

Monster (and monstrous) Love:
The Horror of Our Love by Ludo
"I want you stuffed into my mouth / hold you down and tear you open / live inside you / oh, love, I'd never hurt you"
Fun fact: Based on Salvador Dali's quote about his wife, "I love Gala so much, if she dies, I will eat her."


The Curse by Josh Ritter
"long ago on the ship, she asked, 'why pyramids?' / he said, 'think of them as an immense invitation' / she asked 'are you cursed?' he said, 'I think that I'm cured' / then he kissed her and hoped she'd forget that question"
Fun fact: After Tori Amos (268), I have more songs by Josh Ritter (55) than any other artist (excepting compositions by Chopin). Thanks for introducing him to me, Rae.


Howl by Florence + the Machine
"a man who's pure of heart and says his prayers by night / may still become a wolf when the autumn moon is bright / if you could only see the beast you made of me"
Fun Question: Have you heard the new singles What the Water Gave Me or Strangeness and Charm?

Possession by Sarah McLachlan
"oh, you speak to me in riddles / and you speak to me in rhymes / my body aches to breathe your breath / your words keep me alive"

Songs Not About Food:
Caramel by Suzanne Vega
"so goodbye / sweet appetite / no single bite / could satisfy"

Honey by Tori Amos
"he liked my shoes I kept them on / sometimes I can hold my tongue, sometimes not / when you just skip-to-loo, my darlin' "


Lullabies:

Be Here Now by Ray LaMontagne
"don't look for love in faces, places / it's in you, that's where you'll find kindness"

Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap
"spin me around again and rub my eyes / this can't be happening"


Change of Time by Josh Ritter
"I had a dream last night / and when I opened my eyes / your shoulder blade, your spine / were shorelines in the moon light"
Fun fact: Ritter just published his first novel back in June.

Somedays by Regina Spektor
"I've gone away, don't call me don't write / Somedays aren't yours at all / They come and go as if they're someone else's days"


Old Favorites:
Spark by Tori Amos
"if the divine master plan is perfection / maybe next I'll give Judas a try / trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin"

Poses by Rufus Wainwright
"I did go from wanting to be someone / now I'm drunk and wearing flip-flops on Fifth Avenue"


Sometime Around Midnight by The Airborne Toxic Event
"and the band plays some song / about forgetting yourself for a while / and the piano's this melancholy soundcheck / to her smile"
Fun fact: this band's semi-ridiculous name is taken from Don DeLillo's masterful postmodern novel, White Noise.


Northern Lad by Tori Amos
"I guess you go too far / when pianos try to be guitars / I feel the west in you / but I feel it falling apart too"

6 comments:

  1. I adore many of these songs, particularly Poses (which is a PERFECT fall song), 9 Crimes, The Curse, and Quelqu'un m'a dit. (But there are lots of others I like too.) I'm going to have to check out some of the ones I don't know. Also, this list is making me sad that I'm not going to get an autumn here, especially because after all of the rain in Utah this year, it's sure to be a spectacular festival of colors. (Also, one for you to check out because it's in the same category and I'm a giver - "Blank White Page" by Mumford and Sons. The other day I saw a crazy Taylor Swift cover of it that made me respect her a little more - but the original is awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Greg, what a buzzkill. I was about to write "Oh, yeah, well have you heard What the Water Gave Me?" before I finished the paragraph. As always, though, your selections are great. I'm a fan of many of these songs. Also, you might ask the guy over at getyourmelancholyon.com if you can do some guest posts. A lot of these songs would fit right in.

    And @Megan you totally would be watching Taylor Swift on BBC...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought "White Blank Page" as it was only $.69 on iTunes! I'm sad for you Megan that you won't get a fall--it is my favorite season.

    Thanks, Dain. I will check out getyourmelancholyon on. Guest posts could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your playlists. Thank you for sharing them. I'm with Megan on the fall (or specifically lack thereof) woes. It just doesn't feel like September without cool mornings or orange leaves. Maybe I'll have to switch from summer veggies to apples and squash for the next week or two in an effort to bring on fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so welcome, Gregory. He's my favorite contemporary minstrel.

    I always look forward to your seasonal lists! Thank you for taking the time to put them together and post them :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, I hope you get some fall weather, however brief. Hope your fall cooking works. What are the winter's like there? Mild, grey, and rainy?

    Thank you, Rae! They do take a while to put together, so I'm always happy when people like them.

    ReplyDelete