Thursday, September 8, 2011

How to Dispose of a Demon

Don't ask me how to kill a demon, for that you'll need a slayer or a vampire with a soul. Or a bazooka. But once it's dead--to keep it from coming back--there's just a few steps to follow. Incinerate the body. Douse the ashes with holy water. Divide and bury the remains in separate plots. No more demon redux!

(Isn't "redux" a great word? Also "avuncular"--though it's a bit weird too. What if my uncle isn't like your uncle? I guess it mostly means a kindly uncle. Is there a word that means aunt-like?)

Anyway, I've been watching way too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel lately. It's taken over my dreams. I am addicted and obsessed. I decided to watch the first season of Angel to see what was going on, but I actually like it on its own merits, though I still like Buffy more.

For more vampire/werewolf fun, check out The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger. It's ridiculous, silly, stupid fun. It's a paranormal romance/mystery series set in an alternate Victorian steampunk London. I read Soulless back in March, liked it and then forgot about it. But I got an itch and am now reading book two, Changeless. I'm giggling a lot.

I just finished reading Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton, chef/owner of Prune in NYC. It is an excellent memoir of a hard-lived life. It didn't have the same joy I felt reading Julie & Julia or Comfort Me with Apples, but I think it's a better written book. If you enjoy food writing, I would recommend it. I've also stated A Clash of Kings book two in the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. They are very long, intricately plotted books, and once I finish this one, I'll take a long break before continuing the series.

The last movie I saw in theaters was The Help. Have you seen it? I thought it was a pretty good movie, though it got a little long. I think it was well-intentioned, but Hollywood added some pastel colors and sanded down some splinters of the Civil Rights era. I think it is for white audiences especially women. A way to assuage white guilt, pat ourselves on the back, and ignore contemporary racial injustice. Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching some great actresses doing great work. What is your take on The Help?

Speaking of The Help, Mark Harris has begun his Oscar column on Grantland, discussing early contenders for Best Picture. Like he says, '
when it comes to the Oscars, obsessive overkill is part of the fun [and] this post-Labor Day moment is the last opportunity to weigh in before things get complicated." It's a really good, funny piece, especially if you like movies and awards.

So summers is over. My family went camping over Labor Day, and I stayed
home and watched Buffy. I think camping is more fun with friends and beer, less with family and no beer. And I like having the house to myself. Anyway, it's time to get serious with job hunting. No more staying up till 2 and sleeping in till noon, and doing absolutely nothing. I haven't written much all summer, because I haven't done anything all summer. It was really lame. So here's to being a more productive person, getting a job, and perhaps even writing more posts. And to fall--I really love fall.

3 comments:

  1. I am just starting my first episode of Buffy. I figured it was about time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen an episode of Buffy. Given how life continues onward, I wonder if I ever will? I never felt bad about not seeing it, or not planning to see it even, until now. . . . But I did watch a season of Project Runway. I fast-forwarded through a lot of it, but I know who won. I'm slowly regaining standing in the pop-culture world post law school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Buffy! I hope you like it, Chelsea.
    I haven't really seen much of Project Runway, ever. Mostly, because I haven't had access to Bravo (or Lifetime). If I did, I would probably be obsessed with Project Runway and Top Chef. Alack and Alas. Nevertheless, Kristen, I'm happy you are reacquainting yourself with pop culture after three long years of lawschoolering.

    ReplyDelete