Monday, January 26, 2009

Nostalgic Negronis

Yesterday, alas and alack, I did not see the SAG awards as I was at a friend's apartment and they do not have cable. Of course even if I had been home it wouldn't have helped since my parents have successfully resisted cable all these years. I may have to see if I can find it on Hulu or something, but not today because grad school applications are DUE Saturday. Technically they're due on February 1st but as that's Sunday, I feel that just to be safe I need to have everything in on the day before. Though usually in such situations there's a grace period extending to the next business day. So I really shouldn't even be writing this blog but applying, applying, applying. But that's who I am--I complain and write blogs and expend all my energy avoiding anything that I must do when I should harness that energy towards productive pursuits.

As I was walking to the parking lot after work today, I saw a young woman wearing galoshes, and I wanted some. It's been rainy the last few days and then yesterday it snowed a helluva lot--accumulating by degrees. So walking is pretty treacherous and generally ends in soaking wet feet on my part. I don't have weather appropriate footwear. I keep meaning to get some boots, but really by the time I drag myself to the shoe store it will be spring. If I do end up in upstate New York next year I will need real boots and a much warmer coat and just warmer clothing in general. But it was fun to see some yellow galoshes which reminded me of "Bulbous Bouffant." If you don't know what I'm talking about it's time for a YouTube journey.

Yesterday, I made dinner with some friends which is for us an all-day affair. We get together and create a menu and grocery list. We then go shopping and start to prepare dinner playing some XBox or watching some movies along the way and getting rather drunk. For an aperitif I made myself a Negroni which I had not had for the longest time. The Negroni is one of the most delightful cocktails ever in my opinion. One cocktail enthusiast has suggested that if the Martini is the Superman of drinks and the Manhattan is the Batman then the Negroni is the Wonder Woman of cocktails. It is composed of an equal measure of gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth served over the rocks in an old-fashioned glass and gently stirred. The best drinks are generally the simplest as well, and yet people tend to have a helluva hard time making these classic drinks. Anyway, the Negroni is thoroughly delightful though an affinity for gin and a taste for Campari are prerequisites of a sort. Campari is an Italian liqueur and essentially a type of bitters and is definitely an acquired taste (which I believe can be acquired relatively quickly). What makes the Negroni so great is the perfect balance of sweetness, ka-pow, and bitters. By the way, the Negroni's close cousin is the Americano which is equal parts Campari and sweet vermouth over ice in a highball glass and topped with soda water. It is exquisite on hot summer days.

The Negroni is also great in the summer as when I was first exposed to it. Yesterday when I tasted this exalted drink I was instantly taken back to the late days of June when I made myself Negronis and watched the BBC miniseries Brideshead Revisited which itself features the alcoholic Sebastian Flyte, and I was overcome with nostalgia. I forget if I've already mentioned this, but nostalgia is not simply the fond memories of the good old times; it's much darker. Nostalgia comes from the Greek nostos which means a return home (and we can never return home), or as we all learned from Mad Men "'nostalgia' literally means 'the pain from an old wound.' It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone." Yes, indeed. But anyway, if you've never had a Negroni, you are missing out. Make one for yourself or order one in a bar. I've never ordered one in the great State of Utah since it's really only safe to order Margaritas and beers at the restaurants and clubs here. But if you live outside of Utah and trust your bartender go for it! And if not now then definitely in the summer. It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely. Now I want to see
De-Lovely again; Ashley Judd was rather good in that movie, and Kevin Kline is always fantastic. And who doesn't love gay sex? as we found out when we watched "All That Glitters" from season four of Sex and the City.

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on the nostalgia. Unfortunately for me, most of my nostalgia is brought on by music or old TV shows, and when the music brings it on there's a whole lot of singing loudly and angrily alone in my car. I should get galoshes too. I hate cold, wet feet, especially if they're my own, but more so if they've been dismembered and belong to someone else's corpse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Negroni? I'm getting one! OMG! "All that Glitters!" I miss you. I'm not nostalgic for you; I just miss you.

    ReplyDelete