Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Buy Something!

I am not an economist nor do I have any backgrounds or knowledge about economics, but I belive the only way for us to get out of this depression is with consumer spending. If one has lost one's job or is looking for a new job, that is a very real concern, and I don't mean to minimize it. Unemployment is already at all-time highs and is expected to reach ten percent sometime this year. However, if you still have your job (and your house), then things are basically the same--or even pretty good. Inflation hasn't gone up this year which has kept prices in check, and gasoline is much cheaper than it was this past summer. But people are terrified and want to keep their money under their bed in a safe which means they learned nothing from the Great Depression. So buy something people! If you got a tax refund this year, don't use it to pay off bills--buy something! Now I realize the housing and credit crises would have been much less serious if consumers were able to pay their mortgage and credit card bills--so that is important. But it's also important to spend money--it's the only way to make money. So put the money in your bank, invest in the economy, and take your business downtown to the mall. Go to dinner at a restaurant, buy a new pair of shoes, go to a movie, etc. and patron local businesses too! If all consumers started spending money (not recklessly, but still spending) we can keep businesses open and people in jobs as well as increase consumer spending which will help the economy. So today, go out and buy something! Do it for your country. and the world.

4 comments:

  1. You are very, very funny. And I totally plan on buying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, when I bought my car, I was proud to say, "Look! I'm helping the auto industry! I'm helping the economy!"

    I don't know yet whether I'm getting a tax refund (have I done my taxes yet? That would be no) but if I do, I will be sure to remember your advice, and I will go shopping. I REALLY need some new clothes...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sir! I love shoes enough to save this economy.

    ReplyDelete