Thursday, February 19, 2009

Moving Forward

So today I received an email from Syracuse University informing me that I had been among the elite to be selected for their graduate program. After submitting my applications, I had not been super worried or anxious that I would not be accepted, but I did wonder in the back of my mind what exactly I would do if I was not accepted by any school. I was waiting for a big white envelope which would at that point make me very worried before I opened it, but I didn't know what the email was, so I just opened it ain't no thang and boom! there it was--I was accepted. It's so nice to be accepted. So I'm jazzed but at the same time I'm not exactly elated. I believe this is because I wasn't worried or concerned--so it's nice to be in, but I had basically anticipated it (which makes me sound like a doucher). Of course now they would like me to fill out another application for some position which would pay for half of my tuition. So of course I must do that though in all likelihood I won't get the position. But that's okay. I filled out the FAFSA and now that I can file as an in dependent, I hope to get lots of Pell Grants and whatnot. I also need to fill out a similar TA position application for UW by tomorrow. Ugh. Applications. But I need to try to get money.

Something else that is nice is that I had my sixth month performance review at my U library job. I can't believe it's already been six months--and I still enjoy my job. Anyway, my supervisor told me that I'm basically the best of the part-time workers in the department which made me feel awesome, and then I got an 80 cents raise. That's sweet! This is now the highest paying job I've had though that isn't saying much. But 80 cents more per hour is kick-ass! It also confirms to me that I am on the right path in my life. The other thing is that I've made more money working for universities and now The City Library than I have working for private corporations. Which is nice because I hate corporate anything. They say there isn't money in education or government but I think there is. Of course if one is the CEO of a Fortune 500 company one is making so much more money than say a university president or library director--though I think they're still sitting pretty. But at the entry-level, bottom rung positions of the corporate ladder, workers get shafted. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

I'm still figuring out how to work at The City Library. My paperwork is completed (I think). I need to get an appointment with a person to get my electronic account set up and everything, but so far she has dodged my calls. And then I just need to wait for emails/calls for shifts to come my way. Of course once I show up, I will have no clue what exactly I'm doing. Such an adventure. I still have training sessions in the future which I hope will demystify everything a little bit. But what I really did to do right now is get my account set up. And wait for UW's letter to arrive. I feel like I've done a lot of waiting lately, but I think the waiting is largely over and I'm moving forward once more, and it's lovely.

And now I think I'm going to go to a screening of the Oscar nominated animated shorts. A review to follow! And I'm still deciding whether or not to go to a Best Picture showcase on Saturday. It would be super fun, but also long and exhausting and I could do other things with my Saturday. So I'm still on the fence. Anyway. . . Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting accepted! Getting the massive huge acceptance envelope always feels good - I totally believed Neil's line "I can tell a rejection by weight" in the movie I-60. Extra congrats on getting a raise - I'm glad you've found your path, or at least the beginning of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS! It sounds like life is looking up. I want to talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I recommend printing the letter and hanging it on the fridge. I know, I know, but think about it, the only people who ever see your fridge are people who want good things for you.

    I'm glad you're on your path to success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am late to the show, but I am excited for you. Also, no pell grants for Master's degrees, only loans!

    ReplyDelete