Saturday, August 8, 2009

Feast for the Eyes

I just saw Julie & Julia and I loved it! The only downside was that I went to see it at 10:40 am on a Saturday morning--I didn't even know such a time existed--and when we left the theater the sun was unbearably bright. (Even though the temperature has sunk from the 90s to the 70s--such a strange summer.) The movie is based on two memoirs--the eponymous title by Julie Powell as well as Julia Child's My Life in France. My primary interest was in the Julie Powell story--and if you haven't read the memoir I highly suggest you do, it's one of my favorites--but it would have made a thin film by itself and so the Julia Child story provides an excellent buttress, and perhaps becomes the better part of the film. This is where we learn about the complete difference between books and movies, but Nora Eprhon has written a wonderful film adaptation that cuts back and forth between the two narratives most excellently.

Meryl Streep is perfect, how predictable, as Julia Child and we would expect nothing less. Stanley Tucci is also excellent as her husband, Paul. It's quite an interesting story of how this tall, red-headed woman became the icon Julia Child who forever changed the way Americans cook and think about food. It's set against the backdrop of post-war Paris as Child learns to cook and seeks to publish her famous cookbook.

Amy Adams was actually better than I thought she would be as Julie Powell. I just think Adams is too sweet to portray the cynical, narcissistic, foul-mouthed Powell--and while not all of that comes across, enough does to work. Powell is a hard-bitten government secretary stuck in a dead-end job, who, as she approaches thirty, decides to cook her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year, and along the way, complete with many, many meltdowns, discovers the recipe for joy and the zest for life--not to get carried away or anything.

The sets and costumes were great and everything, but the best part was the food and the butter and the butter and the butter and the butter. Streep and Adams along with everyone else are constantly eating and cooking, cooking and eating--that is when they're not busy kissing and boffing their spouses, and even sometimes when they are. It's truly a visual feast infused with joie de vivre. I highly recommend this film.

3 comments:

  1. So, I had company for 15 days straight. "Company" included five extra children. It made me so very relieved that I never had male children. My god the narcissism of young, LDS boy! Wait, maybe that actually makes me relieved I'm not LDS or a narcissist? Anyway...

    I am hiding at The Boyfriend's condo this week and recovering. He's enjoying helping me recover. After pan-searing a fabulous halved chicken on a FABULOUS wolf gas range and promptly roasting it with fresh herbs, bouillon, and a delicious Pinot Grigio in a fabulous Wolf oven, we retired to bed to watch a movie. Low and behold, the Sex and the City film was on, so we lay there and watched. Yes. He watched it with me, commenting and everything. It was so wonderfully contenting.

    When the film concluded, he was sleepy, so I lay my head on his shoulder until his breathing betrayed him and then slipped out, remembering my earlier purchase of "The Age Issue" of Vogue (said memory prompted by Carrie's appearance in the same issue in her wedding gown). I am now sitting in his shirt while sitting on his couch and immediately thought of you when began reading the article on "Julie & Julia": "Julie's blog has been criticized for its offensive language, which is difficult to understand as her profanity was largely confined to her fondness for the word fuck, but no more often than you'd expect to hear during any hour of Real Time with Bill Maher. Or around my house on a bad food day." It made me think of you because I knew you had seen the movie, because it is clever writing, and because of our discussions on my frequent use of the word fuck.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Rae! How delightful to see you here again. I always enjoy your comments. Isn't company exhausting? We had relatives here for couple of weeks back in July. And how does a young, LDS boy fit into said company? I'm very intrigued. Though I believe narcissism is the frequent territory of teenagers and not the exclusive domain of boys or Mormons.

    I'm glad The Boyfriend can enjoy SatC with you. And I'm a little surprised to hear you call a Pinot Grigio delicious knowing your disdain for the white grapes. I recently had a Spanish Verdejo that was quite good, and cheap!

    I did enjoy the movie a lot, though I enjoy Julie's book and her sailor's mouth even more. And I miss your frequent use of the word "fuck," my friends here don't say it nearly enough.

    Hugs indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, darling, I always appreciate a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc in cooking (certain things) :D

    True about narcissism and being a teenager; my girls have struggled with it, but not to the point of complete disdain by absolutely everyone around them.

    Also, I just paid for my books. My god! I thought I could pull off 12 hours this semester. But no. Dr. Sylvia Cook had to assemble and 11 book reading requirement (but at least Bridget Jones is on it). And I must put on my snobby glasses: she required The Story and Its Writer. WHAT?!?

    I am very excited for the one elective I have this semester: Narration, Cognition, and Emotion. We have a fabulous list of reading and examining literature from the nouveau Literary Darwinism critical theory. You know how much I adore science and literature. I am hoping I've found the perfect mates.

    When do you head to Seattle? I'll know my WA trip dates by Labor Day weekend (when my mother and her oldest sister come. Now that's a combination you'll truly miss observing and experiencing).

    ReplyDelete