Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fall Lineup

With September just around the corner, new television is just weeks away, and it's time to decide what, if anything, we will sit down and watch week after week. There are few things I love more than episodic television--both the very good and occasionally the lowbrow--so fall's lineup is a welcome reprieve from the intellectual and moral wasteland of summer's reality programming. So here are the shows I plan on watching this year because frankly I'm going to need a break from graduate studies.

Glee premieres Wednesday, September 9th 9/8c on FOX. For those who missed the pilot back in the spring, it's a one-hour musical comedy that focuses on the Glee Club at one American high school. It features delightful, full-on musical numbers including such songs as Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing." Look for Jane Lynch as the bitchy, snarky cheer-leading coach.



Gossip Girl third season is back on the CW's Monday nights starting September 14th 9/8c. After a whip-smart second season the gang is headed to its freshmen year in college which makes me a little worried because high school provided the perfect backdrop for this teen soap. Still I love me some Gossip Girl.


The Office is now entering its sixth season--I can't even believe it--returning to NBC on Thursday, September 17th 9/8c. Either you watch it or you don't, still here's the video of the cast to catch you up on what went down last season and where this one may be headed.


Eastwick is a new series that will be appearing on ABC Wednesdays 10/9c debuting on September 23rd. A series based on the movie based on the novel The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike. Anyway, it looks promising, so I think I'll give it a try.


The Dollhouse will start its second season on Friday, September 25th 9/8c. I missed the first season, which is now out on DVD, but I think I need to get in on the latest of Joss Whedon's projects starring Eliza Dushku. Here's a somewhat long recap of season one.


And on Sundays PBS will be showing Ken Burn's twelve-hour story of The National Parks: America's Best Idea. The epic six-part film will begin on September 27th 8/7c. It looks like a grand exercise in American history and riveting cinematography. Mark Kirby of GQ says, "Think of it as Planet Earth featuring places you might actually get to go sometime."


Finally, I plan to watch the fourth season of 30 Rock which I find to be sometimes uneven but which the Emmy's love, bestowing 22 nominations on the third season. There's no video for this one, but it premieres Thursday, October 15th on NBC. The Emmy Awards by the way will be presented on CBS Sunday, September 20th 8/7c. Anyway, that does it for me. What will you be watching this fall?


P.S. Here's a hilarious eight-minute recap of the first three seasons of Battlestar Galactica called "What the Frak is Going on with Battlestar Galactica." I could watch it over and over and over again. It contains spoilers by the way.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Greg, remember how you're going to be in grad school this fall? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for Dollhouse. Dushku is gorgeous.

    Fringe will also get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crazy excited for Dollhouse, especially since I've heard rumours that Summer Glau is going to get in on that action. I love Jane Lynch as her portrayal of Diana Reid from Criminal Minds, so I'm going to do my best to catch it. My fall lineup includes Criminal Minds (of course) and House. Am I predictable or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, I know Megan, but I've never let my education interfere with my television habits. Actually, I'm much less of an addict than I used to be. But you're right--grad school will probably throw a few wrenches in my plans, TV and otherwise.

    I don't think I ever realized what the deal with Dollhouse was until recently. Glad to know I have company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I'll fully comment later, but dearest, it's The Widows of Eastwick. Witches was the film adaptation name.)

    ReplyDelete