Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Believe I May Have a First Sentence

As I was wandering outside tonight, as is my wont, this first sentence came to me, and then the second as I was writing it down. I think it makes a great beginning, but for what I don't know. So I'm not sure it will ever come to anything, but I'm intrigued.

The dark house was punctuated by lighted windows like a leering Jack O'Lantern. Still, the weak, academic light emanating from the fenestration did little to dispel the shadows that engulfed the house, for the darkness on this night had a physical density to it which nothing could pierce.

4 comments:

  1. Dude. Whatever this turns into will be amazing. I do know the sensation of a fantastic beginning that goes absolutely nowhere, but this feels like it could go anywhere and everywhere but down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once wrote a short piece using only beginnings. Not my best piece, but I hope this goes somewhere and if it doesn't, I want you to force it! If it helps any, I want to know what's going on in the house and why the narrator is out in this all encompassing darkness. I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, but I did have to use a dictionary on a few words, so your writing requires a grand lexicon of its readers, something I definitely enjoy.

    ReplyDelete