Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Excited and Scared

I should be packing right now instead of writing this blog. But it has finally has started to feel like fall--the temperature's dropped a bit and the last couple of days have been a bit rainy. Which is all very nice as I love fall, but grad school is suddenly much, much closer and real.

Until yesterday, Seattle and UW were just a far-away dream, and I felt neither anticipation nor anxiety. Well, that's all changed now. I move Thursday--crazy--and I've been buying stuff I think I'll need, spending way too much money, and probably buying nothing that will actually be useful--yes, I suffer from buyer's remorse. Anyway, among other things, I purchased a city map of Seattle at my aunt's behest, and I also got one of those city guides by Frommer's. Looking through the guide has been rather exciting, but I have to realize that I am not going on a vacation, rather I am moving to live in Seattle for at least two years. And now I'm scared, well excited and scared, about the rain, about the notorious traffic and parking, about finding a job, about how damn expensive everything is--why am I not going to Syracuse? I ask myself. Oh right, financial aid. At least I won't have to deal with ice storms, I tell myself.

So I've packed all of my books (mostly), but it turns out that was the easy part. The nice thing about moving from home is that I don't have to move everything out and scour the apartment before leaving. But on the other hand, it's hard to decide what to leave and what to take. I'm trying to create a DI pile of clothes, but I've only managed to throw out two items. And I need to go through all my kitchen equipment and decide what will fit in my tiny Seattle apartment. Have I mentioned that I hate moving? I also need to do laundry, and it would probably be a good idea to get an oil change and make sure my car is running smoothly before going on a fifteen-hour drive. So much to do, so little time--guess I better stop writing and start packing. Blerg.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! You are going to have the most unbelievably wonderful 2 years in Seattle. I won't blame you if you decide to never return home--though I expect you to drop in for visits now and then. And by all means, stop buying the gift ideas you gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, Godspeed. It's tough, but through the emotional firestorm of relocating you'll continue to grow as a person. That's what counts, and I'm excited for you. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be one of the coolest things you've ever done. It can be scary, moving to a new city where you know nothing and no one, but once you get your roots in and soak up some of that Seattle rain, it'll be all right. Good luck packing. I should stop reading your blog and start writing a direct examination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you. I understand the freaking-out stage, which will last you a while yet, but I think once you're there and in class and it's happening, that you'll be on cloud 9. Make sure that you keep us up to date!

    Btw, are you driving up there by yourself???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It's scary and (sort of) exciting right now, and, like you all say, I'm sure it'll be (mostly) awesomesauce once I'm there and living it.

    Kristen, you really don't have to get a gift for me. But I could always use more than one map...
    (By the way, the one I have is the Rand McNally streets of Seattle map.)

    Val, I am driving my car, and my parents are driving their 4Runner, so we're caravanning. They're pretty awesome that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is your new address to ensure the arrival of Gregory Warming Gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will let you know my official mailing address once I am all moved in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! You'll do great!
    I'm so jealous of you living in the Northwest!

    ReplyDelete