Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Roommate Redux

So, I survived my first day of classes--or class, since I only have one per day. And Fridays off! (Except for this weekend, when my Friday and Saturday will be spent completing a two credit class in two days--I'm so excited.) On the down side, my regular classes are two hours each--and I thought as an undergrad that some of those fifty minute classes couldn't go by fast enough.

So late on Sunday night my roommate officially moved in and spent his first night in the apartment. We see each other every day, though I've spent an awful amount of time on campus lately, and we seem to get along so far. Anyway, his full name is Andhika and he goes by Andhi. He is from Jakarta, and his family is Catholic, though Andhi says he's not very religious. He does not drink since (I think) he has a low alcohol tolerance, but we'll see if that changes when he turns 21. (I'm thinking of Justin who has managed overcome his low tolerance.) He's a junior now and transferred here (from a school in Indonesia?). Andhi also attended an International School (not sure where) which I believe is where he learned most of his Americanized English (he also speaks Indonesian). On Monday night we went and saw The Burning Plain with Charlize Theron (it was an interesting movie; not sure I would recommend it). He also likes musicals and his favorite movie is High School Musical. Yes, my roommate is gay. This will be interesting. He also has a cute friend (bf?) named Adyceum (Ady?), who despite his very interesting name that I have no idea how to pronounce, is thoroughly white and American. I think they met at the international school. So there's an update on that, and though I've learned a lot, there's still a lot I don't know.

Anyway, I have learned that lunch is important. Yesterday, we had a second orientation, an iSchool fair, and then a happy hour. Yay, beer! I didn't eat much breakfast and no lunch, but had tea, coffee, more tea, and then quite a lot of beer. My digestive system was not very happy with me. Today, there was a special collections tour (actually pretty boring, and now I know I don't want to be a archivist), another "workshop" and then my first class. And so even though I had less caffeine, no alcohol, and more water, I still didn't eat lunch and now it's time to make some pizza and get ready for Glee. TTFN!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah - those long classes are a killer (four hours a pop with one professor and four other students can be kinda scary). But hey, I'm glad things seem cool with your roommate. Enjoy your Glee. Fridays off is good times. What are you learning in your classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things, dear: 1) If your roommate knows your last name, he can Google you and land here and read all about your opinions and experiences with him. It might not matter now, but... 2) Does he still have family or friends in Indonesia? Earthquake there, you know.

    Extra Credit: Glee started out good but deteriorated quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss all these details? He sounds like a great guy. Are you guys friends, yet?

    ReplyDelete