Tuesday, January 5, 2010

525,600 Minutes

So here's a new playlist for the new year, mostly composed of songs that I feel have a somewhat hopeful message of renewal.
  • "The New Year" by Death Cab for Cutie. So this is the new year / And I don't feel any different. 'Nuff said.
  • "Auld Land Syne" sung here by Barenaked Ladies. Auld Lang Syne means "old long since" or rather times gone by. We'll take a cup of kindness yet / For auld lang syne.
  • "Winter Song" by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. I'm holding this one over from my holiday playlist since it's still winter for a little while. I still believe in summer days / The seasons always change / And life will find a way.
  • "Seasons of Love" from Rent. This song is performed at the beginning of the film version and then reprised on New Year's Eve. Let's celebrate, remember / A year in the life of friends. How do you measure a year in the life?
  • "Vagabond" by Wolfmother. This song is featured on (500) Days of Summer and it's awesome.
  • "Girl" by Tori Amos. Well I'm not seventeen / But I've cuts on my knees / Falling down as the winter / Takes one more cherry tree. It's also about being your own girl. or boy as the case may be.
  • "Ghost of Corporate Future" by Regina Spektor. This is such a fun and hopeful song. If the world ever stresses you out or the future looks bleak, just take a few minutes and listen to this song.
  • "You Owe Me Nothing in Return" by Alanis Morissette. She sings about completely unconditional love which actually seems a little masochistic. So Alanis. Still, it's a long enumeration of ways to love someone which is always nice.
  • "Hero" by Regina Spektor. I'm the hero of the story / Don't need to be saved. This was also on (500) Days of Summer.
  • "All Along the Watchtower" covered by Jimi Hendrix. For pure awesomeness. It also makes my Battlestar Galactica heart happy.
  • "Silent All These Years" by Tori Amos. Sometimes I hear my voice and it's been HERE / Silent all these years. This is about learning to speak up for yourself, something I've gotten better at but still need to work on.
  • "Human" by The Killers. Because I felt like it
  • "Leaving on a Jet Plane" covered by Chantal Kreviazuk, also known as the Armageddon version. This is because I just flew back from Utah, and I don't know when I'll be back again.
  • "True Colors" as performed by Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz) and the rest of the Glee cast. Because when I saw it on TV, I almost cried. And it's another song about being yourself which is always a good message.
  • "Major Tom" covered by Shiny Toy Guns. I stole this from Megan's playlist.
  • "Blue Skies" by Noah and the Whale. I also stole this from Megan. It's a song about leaving the past behind and moving on to blue skies. Obviously this band is not from Seattle.
  • "Winding Road" by Bonnnie Somerville. Most of you will recognize this from the Garden State soundtrack. Because life is a winding road and we're all along for the ride looking for a place called home.
  • "Pretty Good Year" by Tori Amos. Tears on the sleeve of a man / Don't want to be a boy today / ... / Hold onto nothing as fast as you can / Well, still, pretty good year.
Well, that's it for me. What songs are you listening to to start off 2010?
Happy New Year.

5 comments:

  1. Ironically, Noah and the Whale is from London. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Time after time, you'll hear me saying I'm so lucky to be loving you..."

    Name that song! (And the movie it is featured in, which I'm watching right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire featured on the Where the Wild Things Are filming set by Spike Lee
    --I want to be awake this year.
    "Cemetery Gates" by the Smiths
    --I may die this year and be on the other side and I want people to remember that we have different bodies and experiences but are united by having passion and need for love and connection.
    "Underneath the Weeping Willow" by Grandaddy
    --I also want to sleep this year, good sleep, restful sleep. I am committed to it and all it restores to me.
    "Do You Realize" by The Flaming Lips
    --I am committed to ensuring that my pursuits don't negate expressing my love, appreciation, and gratitude to those I love and whom I value.
    "O Shot" by the Gayblades
    --One word: fun. You'll get it when you listen.
    "1901" by Phoenix
    --They're French. Elizabeth introduced me to them. I like that we're moving into a mother-as-my-friend/daughter-as-my-friend space. They've motivated her to learn French. Also the song is energetic and makes me feel youthful and optimistic and yearn for spring and summer. We can hope through the dark and cold of winter knowing what's coming.
    "All I Want" by Kate Earl
    --I like her voice, I like the lyrics. I like the music. Isn't that enough?
    "Sweet Disposition" by Temper Trap
    --I had this before it was out on the famous film. For the first time in my almost-40-years, I have an relationship of intimacy with a man that is truly a partnership girded with all the wonderful things by which life is made a contented delight. This song captures that for me.
    "Thank You" by Jay-Z
    --Makes me look at "the competition" and motivates me right past them. Also, the horn hook keeps me listening through the whole song. Makes me want to be in a W Bar somewhere with cool people, having a cool drink, looking VERY cool :D
    "Song for You" by Alexi Murdoch
    --I am committed to my non-academic writing and I like how Alexi captures the desire behind the creative process. Observation of humanity is key. The emotion he observes reminds me of fall 2007 through fall 2008. It was the hardest year of my adult life. I want to forget it and never to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, Megan, yeah, I know they're from London, but for the sake of a joke...

    Elise, I need to see Evening again.

    Rae, what a list! I'll need to take some time to go through it. The only ones I'm familiar with are "Sweet Dispostion" and "1901" which to me will always be a summer song when I listened to it constantly. I do enjoy it though. Wish we were enjoying cocktails together and looking very cool at the W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you had to say was "525,600 Minutes" and now I have to listen to my entire Rent soundtrack. So much for your playlist!

    ReplyDelete