Monday, January 25, 2010

Spring in January

Do you know what was lovely? Coming home in December to lots of snow and coldness and Christmas. It was perfect. Do you know what was even more lovely? Coming back to Seattle in January where the temperatures have ranged from the 40s-60s all month. This is a vast improvement over December when it got below freezing. Boo. Anyway, the trees are budding and the tulips are, well, doing whatever tulips do. The only downside is that it has been the rainiest month since I've been here, but that's what spring's all about right? Well--warm trumps wet--I'll take it!

I've decided that I'm never getting a doctorate degree, but I've been thinking lately that I'd like to get another Master's degree, maybe just one more. In film studies! I mean watching film, studying film history and theory, writing papers about film--how me is that? Of course if I did, I'd want to go to some teaching university where the tuition is reasonable--god, I miss SUU. There's no money in film studies. Besides I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money to be a librarian, though at least a librarian is a professional degree. Well, there's some debate whether or not the librarian is a profession or simply an occupation, but I believe it fulfills the criteria of a profession (except those people in circulation!), though I have a vested interest in doing so. And if I want to go the academic library route, a second Master's comes in mighty handy. I could be a film librarian. Brilliant! Wait, is there such a thing? There has to be.

So Suzanne Vega is coming to Seattle in February. So friends, what do we think? should I spring for some Vega tickets? "Luka" was playing in the grocery store the other day, awesome, and "The Queen and the Soldier" has been coming up a lot on my genius playlists (maybe it's a sign). I've never really used genius before, but this weekend was a revelation. or something. And I love "Caramel" and "Tom's Diner." Also, Hey Marseilles is playing at The Crocodile this weekend, and I'm super stoked. I've been listening to "Calabasas" nonstop lately.

So I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the quarter. It's actually kind of scary how quickly it's going. Right now I'm working on a presentation about national information policy. What the what? I don't know either. In related news I got out of the house this weekend. Go me. On Friday I went to a game night with people I don't know, so that was a lil' awkward, but I'm awesome at Taboo! On Saturday I went to Jeannie's housewarming party which was divided between the library students in jeans and the former sorority girls (and guys) who were not in jeans. And there was wizard-slapping going on. I did not engage this time in said wizard-slapping, though I promised Alex I would next time. And then last night the Fighting Librarians were supposed to have a movie night, well we did anyway, but attendance was sorely lacking. But I saw True Romance for the first time. 1993 was a different time. But yay Detroit! After hearing about Detroit on NPR sometime last year, I've decided that I'm moving there. My future is in Detroit. Hope my Ann Arbor counterparts don't have the same bright idea. But they do! Damn them. And they're already adjusted to freezing Michigan winters.

So I don't know what I'm saying anymore. I'm on my second beer. I love not having class on Tuesday. I know my last post was pretty video heavy but I wanted to link to "Natalie Raps" an SNL Digital Short from 2006 that went viral, so you may have seen it before wherein Natalie Portman makes fun of her good girl/intellectual image. It makes me laugh every time. One day I want to smash a bottle over my head like that. WHAT?!

7 comments:

  1. I also like "New York is a Woman" and "Gypsy" by SV. "Luka" is SO depressing! Though I recall liking it in high school.

    Detroit? WHAT?!? For some reason I don't see that fitting you very well; however, I'd come see you there.

    "Shut the F*** up! And SUCK MY D***!" BWAHAHAHAHA! My girls introduced that video to me last summer. I once read a writer characterize Ayn Rand has "swinging a big D***" and that made me laugh, too. I think you see the connection.

    I think you are going to be a film critic for mags. Yep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I checked Suzanne Vega ticket prices and they're at $35 which I felt were a little steep for Regina Spektor (mostly once you added all the "convenience" fees)--and I LOVE her! Not quite enough love/money for Suzanne.

    I've never been to Detroit, but last April Morning Edition did a bunch of segments on Detroit and its future in light of the auto industry. And it took root in my imagination.

    I believe that Ayn Rand article was in December's GQ. She was the Writer of the Year. Thoroughly excellent desiccation of that woman and her cult followers.

    Once I graduate from film school, Tom Carson better watch his back!

    By the way did you see this guy?
    http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/11310BlueGrey1897Web.jpg
    I want to be him when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wizard slapping? What is this? or is it something i should probably not know about? :)

    And tell me about your book list over there
    <----

    Also I need to ask you, what is your feeling toward Wes Anderson? If you loved Rushmore, Royal Tennenbaums, etc... you will love

    ReplyDelete
  4. MaryPosa! Wizard Slapping is a drinking game invented by one of my librarian friend's friends. Basically you do a shot, and then get slapped which acts as the chaser. Awesome.

    My Book List is something I started when people where asking what I had recently read, and my mind would go blank. It still does. But it's the list of the last twenty-five books I've read or am currently reading: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I keep the full list on a Word doc. If any pique your interest, I'll let you know what I thought.

    Wes Anderson. I loved Royal Tennenbaums, did not like Life Aquatic, and was indifferent to Bottle Rocket. I have not seen Rushmore or Darjeeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I HATED Darjeeling. I think Wes Anderson is pretty inconsistent in the quality of his film making. That said, The Royal Tennenbaums is one of my top 100 fav films.

    Boyfriend, I think you're spoiled by UT ticket prices. It took me about 2.4 years after moving to STL to adjust to "regular" ticket pricing. I just paid $30/ticket to see Ani DiFranco and will probably pay about $100/ticket to see Jay-Z.

    It was GQ!

    The man is a snazzy dresser but I've realized that the reason I prefer gay snazzy dressers is because I feel no pressure or competition from them like I do with straight snazzy males. Like, I look at that picture and think, "He's dressed well but he looks like a smug asshole." I would never think that of you, of course.

    PS I roll my jeans like that--when it's not 30 EFFING DEGREES outside. I bought some boyfriend jeans last fall--trendsetter that I am--and started rolling them. Abigail told me I looked skeet. I told her I didn't care. Guess who's rolling her jeans? DATS RIGHT!

    PSS I completely trust that you know what "Smart and Sassy" means regarding the dress code. I actually had to explain that to some people...I didn't realize the depth of my materialistic self until I privately judged for not knowing what "smart and sassy" indicates in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will probably like Fantastic Mr Fox then. The visual style and dialog are pretty standard Wes Anderson. Rushmore is probably the most toned down stylistically of any of his films, and it's Blair's favorite. I'd recommend it too.

    What did you think of Kavalier and Clay? It took me forever to get through that book for some reason, but I loved it. And so far i'm absolutely loving the Long Goodbye. I feel like i'm in an old 50's movie when i read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rae, I'm spoiled my Utah prices in general. I haven't seen that many concerts. Still I think I'll save my money for a Sharon Olds reading. :)

    Oh, I think I liked that guy so much cause he's rocking the jeans but is super stylish. And I think I know what smart and sassy means, just don't quiz me on it.

    Mary, I'm still concerned about the stop-animation aspect. We'll see. And Rushmore is somewhere in my Netflix queue. I'm currently enjoying Kavalier and Clay though it is slow going. Currently I've hit a rut. And isn't The Long Goodbye stylistically wonderful?

    ReplyDelete