Saturday, November 27, 2010

Christmas Time is Here

I mentioned last week that is was snowing here Sunday afternoon, but it wasn't sticking. Well, I woke up Monday morning to a winter wonderland. of two inches. And Seattle freaked out. I was working at the library Monday afternoon, when it was announced that campus would be closing operations at 5 pm. So I got on a bus and it took forever to get home in the snow. Then it was announced that operations would be suspended for Tuesday. Snow day! Sometimes, you gotta love Seattle. Campus was supposed to be open back up on Wednesday, but they decided to keep it closed at the 11th hour. Snow day number two! And then it was the holiday weekend--I haven't been to class in over a week. And I don't want to go back.

Well the temperature has climbed a little and the snow has (mostly) melted. Thanksgiving is over, which means we can talk about other things--like how many movies I want to see in theaters (Black Swan!). Love and Other Drugs was all right. The main selling point is nudity--Jake said he and Anne are naked like 65% of the film. Yup. And they're gorgeous, so who loses out? Their chemistry (and bodies) are the best part of the movie which is otherwise a fairly traditional romantic comedy. She's terminally ill, he's a player, they have hot sex--no strings attached--but then they get attached.

I just updated my Netflix queue for maximum holiday cheeri(less)ness First up is The Ice Storm which I actually think takes place at Thanksgiving. Following is A Charlie Brown Christmas to remind us all of the true meaning of Christmas. and that great Peanuts dance. Next up we have The Family Stone. I kinda want to say it's my secret shame, but I've only seen it once before. Then we have Eulogy which is black family comedy. I kinda wanted to see Everybody's Fine when it came out last year, but I didn't. And then
we have The Apartment which is one of my favorite films and is somewhat Christmas-y. To top it off there's The Dead, John Huston's final film adapted from a James Joyce short story which actually takes place at Epiphany (which is in January). And my roommate has Love Actually which is my favorite Christmas movie of them all. What movies do you break out in December?

Last month I tracked down my two favorite Christmas songs which are both Tori Amos rarities: "Little Drummer Boy" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Amazing. I also love "River"--I have the original Joni Mitchell version and an amazing Allison Crowe cover. Crowe also has an excellent cover of "Hallelujah." Brandi Carlile's "The Heartache Can Wait" is one of my new favorites from last year (thanks Megan!). Also on the Hotel Cafe album is "Winter Song" and "Auld Lang Syne." "Song for a Winter's Night" by Sarah McLachlan is also lovely. Weezer does a great upbeat version of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "O Holy Night," a couple of personal favorites. Sufjan Stevens also does a good version of "O Holy Night" and I enjoy his original "Get Behind Me, Santa!" The classic Crosby & Bowie duet "Little Drummer Boy (Peace on Earth)" is one of my favorites. Add to that "A Great Big Sled" by The Killers. "The Holly and the Ivy" is one of my favorite carols, but I don't have a smashing version of it. Frowny face. Throw into that Martha Wainwright's "How Soon" (not actually a Christmas song) and Diana Krall's "Christmastime is Here," and you have a pretty good playlist. Favorite Christmas songs?

Happy Holidays Everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Check this out

    http://www.hipchristmas.com/annuals/new_releases/2010.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently have 60 songs in my "A Christmas Playlist". The more wine I drink, the more songs magically appear.

    I'm going to have an iTunes hangover I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, that happens. But an iTunes hangover must be nicer than an alcohol induced one. You'll have to share with me your favorite tracks.

    ReplyDelete