Thursday, December 2, 2010

10 Things

Thursdays are the worst. It's the end of a long day at the end of long week at the end of a long quarter. Blerg.

That brings us to my ten things (stolen from a running series by MaryPosa):

1) School makes me sad. At the end of my three hour class tonight I wanted to jab my pencil into my brain. Two more weeks . . . I may die. Mostly I'm just exhausted.

2) Eating hot Dick's. Sometimes one just needs greasy, empty calories to make the pain go away.

3) The Jack Rose. Fast food and alcohol are a magical, magical combination. The Jack Rose is currently one of my favorite cocktails. Take 2 ounces of Applejack (Laird's is the only company that makes this apple liquor; French Calvados is also acceptable). Add an ounce of fresh lime juice, and a half ounce of grenadine (I make my own from pomegranate juice and sugar). Shake it over ice and pour into a coktail glass. Delicious town! GQ says it's the booziest cocktail you'll drink five of. My day is much better, by the way.

4) Kind things said by others about oneself. It's very gratifying and humbling. We're always so inside our own heads, that's it's always refreshing to hear what others think about us, especially when it's the good stuff.

5) I really need a manicure. I was introduced to this cosmetic treatment by Slarue and Rae. My nails were so pretty! Now they're dull and ragged. But who will go to the salon with me?

6) Speaking of cosmetics, my skin is looking pretty good. It's probably all that money I'm spending on strange chemicals and then applying them to my largest organ. Oh, and helpful tips from acne.org like using a featherlight touch and avoiding scrubs. One day I might like to try a more natural oil regimen (oil dissolves oil after all), but I'm afeard for my skin.

7) I finished reading Neverwhere. It's only the second Neil Gaiman novel I've read. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I think Gaiman's a great storyteller but not as great a writer (he's still pretty damn good). I think The Sandman is genius and I love his short stories, but something in the execution of his novels is lacking. Now I'm reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm really liking it.

8) I'm betting most of you have seen the Xtranormal videos. Here's one called Library School: Hurts So Good.

There's also a pretty good one about getting a PhD in the humanities. It makes me laugh. and cry.

9) Now that I have a job where I can listen to my iPod again, I have reunited with my podcasts (and it feels so good!). Listening to TBTL, This American Life, Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, The Weeklings, Selected Shorts, and Planet Money makes work a lot better. I'm also more connected to current events. Win win!

10) Tina Fey is a comedy goddess. She was recently awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. It was broadcast on PBS. You should at least watch her acceptance speech. You can see video here.

3 comments:

  1. I read "Nerverwhere" last summer (I think). I thought the premise was interesting, but agree with your opinion on Neil Gaiman as a writer. What's really sad is that I watched "Neverwhere" on Netflix...let's just say, it's really campy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're not happy with library school.

    I will always laugh at the phrase "hot Dick's" particularly when "eating" is placed anywhere near it.

    Sarah did say some really nice things, didn't she? All true.

    Surely you have a friend who'd manicure with you.

    I can't handle Appletinis of any kind. WORST drunk and hangover I've ever had--and you know I've had some.

    When you can afford it, Skinceuticals is an excellent line of skincare.

    I agree about NG, but he's still dreamy.

    Never seen those videos; I will watch.

    I heart podcasts.

    I heart TF, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I saw some clips of Neverwhere on YouTube--it was pretty much exactly like the book with extra campiness.

    Rae, this has been my worst quarter/semester of education ever. I will be glad when it's done. I love Dick's not only for their food but for providing me with delicious double entendre. And Neil Gaiman is dreamy.

    ReplyDelete