Monday, January 17, 2011

A Few GG Thoughts

I'm not going to do a full recap of last night's show--for that you can read the live blogs of The Film Experience and/or IMDb.Here a just few thoughts.

Since I don't have television I had to stream it live which took a while to get going, so I missed the first few minutes. I also drank a whole bottle of Domaine Ste. Michelle blanc de noirs which is a sparkling wine I can finally get behind.

Ricky Gervais killed it last year, and I was so excited he would be hosting again. Shame, shame, shame on you, Ricky. You were not funny, just rude. I would like to join IMDb in hoping that Robert Downey, Jr. might like to host next year.

I have not seen The Fighter yet, but everyone says it's amazing. I must see it before the Oscars.

Chris Colfer wins for Glee, and is just adorable! LOVED it so much! Lea Michelle cries all night. Jane Lynch also win for Sue. And Glee wins Best TV Series--Comedy or Musical, and I'm sorry, but even though I like the show for it's glitzy musical numbers, the show long threw out things like story lines and character development.

IMDb writes, "
Andrew Garfield presents 'The Social Network' but gets totally tangled on the word 'inspiringly' because, well, it's not a word." But he's so cute we don't even care! The Social Network wins four prizes including Best Picture, Best Director (David Fincher), Best Screenplay (Aaron Sorkin), and Best Original Score (Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross). All very deserved in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, go; it's still playing. I'm waiting till it hits the dollar theater to see it again.

Pixar cannot be stopped, and Toy Story 3 wins Best Animated Feature. I liked it, but I preferred How to Train Your Dragon which is just as good as anything Pixar's done.

Annette Bening wins for the (seemingly) effortless The Kids Are All Right. Natatlie Portman wins for her bravura performance in Black Swan. They both gave excellent speeches and will be dueling for the Oscar, and I can't decide which one I want to win more. The Kids Are All Right also wins Best Picture Comedy, and it would have been a travesty if it didn't. Yay!

Tina Fey and Steve Carrell are very funny presenters. Maybe Tina Fey should host! How good is she off-the-cuff though?

Paul Giamatti bests Johnny Depp and Johnny Depp and Jake Gyllenhaal's ass for some movie I've never heard of: Barney's Version. Good for Paul.

And Colin Firth wins for The King's Speech which I haven't seen yet either. Clearly, I have a lot of movies to see before the Oscars.

Anyway, Gervais wasn't very funny, most of the winners earned it, and there were very few surprise moments. But I was very drunk, so I had a very good time with lots of clapping that drove my roommate insane. What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. I totally saw this in blogroll and thought, Oh! Gilmore Girls! Even better to get the highlights of the Golden Globes. You've saved me a trip downstairs to pick up the Times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I like the typewriter face.

    2. I hate Natalie Portman. I thought her speech was...incredibly awkward. She should just get an award for being Natalie Portman in movies because that's all she ever is.

    3. You do have to see a lot of movies yet!

    4. Barney's Version looks funny. You might like it.

    5. My rundown is facebooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, GG can be Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, or Golden Globes. All are good in my book.

    Rae, I don't understand your antipathy for Natalie Portman. I love her so much, I think she's a great actress, and I thought her speech was pretty good. I do have a lot of movies to see, but this damn graduate school keeps interfering.

    ReplyDelete