Friday, January 28, 2011

Music for Your Weekend

So it's Thursday night which means tomorrow is Friday and the weekend begins. Big whoop. My weekends are always full of portfolio, cataloging, and gov pubs. I hate the weekend. I hate this quarter. I hate school. So how's your life going?

Anyway, here are three songs I've been listening to lately, and I offer them here for your edification and/or delight.

"The Book of Love" by the Magnetic Fields

You may be familiar with the more famous Peter Gabriel cover, but I prefer the original vocal stylings of Stephin Merrit. Sorry the video's a little (lot) creepy, but it's the only decent one I could find. I love, love this song! It's probably my favorite love song. ever. "The book of love is long and boring / And written very long ago / It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes / And things we're all too young to know."

"Harrisburg" by Josh Ritter

I'm going to see Josh Ritter again this February (well, I'm planning on it). From his second album, "Harrisburg" is the latest Ritter I've downloaded, and from what I can gather, it's one he always plays live. I think he's just one of the greatest American folk singers working today. "Some say that man is the root of all evil / Others say God's a drunkard for pain / Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden / Was burned to make way for a train."

"This Year" by The Mountain Goats

The Mountain Goats "This Year" from A Bruntel on Vimeo.


You may have heard a clip from this song from last week's This American Life episode. The song's kind of weird--as is the video--but I can really get behind the chorus: "I am going make it through this year / If it kills me." I'm going to make it through this quarter, and another one, graduation and finding a job, moving--it might kill me, but I'm going to make it through 2011.


Bonus Song
For those who'd like a little musical number, here's Elaine Stritch (aka Colleen Donaghy) singing "Ladies Who Lunch" from the Sondheim musical Company in which she originated the role Joanne. She masterfully walks the line between comedy and bitterness.

"And here's to the girls who just watch / Aren't they the best? / I'll drink to that!

Well I hope you all have a lovely weekend--hopefully not doing homework--but if you are, I commiserate.

2 comments:

  1. I am always looking for new music. I've never actually heard any of these songs, and I was especially intrigued by Josh Ritter, so much thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your weekends are so terrible. Life for me has been...jobless. I really need a job lest I go insane. But other than that, it's been pretty good. Good luck this semester - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae introduced me to Josh Ritter, and now he's one of my favorite artists. I think the iTunes essentials is a good place to start. Good luck finding a job!

    ReplyDelete