Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Top Ten

I just saw Easy A again. Love it! so much. Anyway, some of my friends asked for my top books list of 2010, and before I forget, I want to post it here.

This is in the order that I read them and not the order of how much I liked it:

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
(I love his short story collections!)

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
(a reread and still my favorite YA novel)

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni
(one of the most inventive contemporary novels I've read lately)

Empire of Illusion by Chris Hedges
(I did a review of this back in April--a very important book)

The Absolute Sandman vol. 3 by Neil Gaiman
(absolutely love The Sandman)

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
(an interesting novel / critique of Harry Potter)

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
(it is as good as everyone says--read it if you haven't already)

Fun Home by Alison Bechdale
(a tragicomic graphic memoir about her identity as a lesbian and her fraught relationship with her father bound together with books)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
(a classic of sci-fi and the basis for Bladerunner)

Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
(my favorite Batman comic)

And I have two alternates which are books that I started to read and didn't finish--but not because they weren't good. One was overdue at the library, and I didn't finish the other one before school started up again.
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
(will make you hate Big Agriculture and fall in love with agrarianism)
The Iliad by Homer translated by Robert Fagles
(a modern, readable translation of the greatest war epic in Western literature)

So there you go. What were your favorite reads of 2010?

2 comments:

  1. So--being completely cognizant of my hubris--I love that The Magicians is on your list.

    (Also, I like your list in general, and am particularly pleased to see so many graphic novels, and even a graphic novel-turned-traditional-style-novel on your list. Finally, I love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rae. I did read a lot of graphic novels this year mostly because of my genre class. But I do enjoy them and plan to continue reading lots of them.

    ReplyDelete