Monday, March 2, 2009

Clickety Clack


Today I heard this story on NPR Morning Edition and I decided that I, too, want a manual typewriter. I love the clackety sound typewriters make which is probably why I love the score from Atonement including the song "With My Own Eyes" featured on the playlist to your left which features the sound of a typewriter. And every typewriter makes it's own unique sound which is neat. I think a manual typewriter that's cute or interesting-looking makes an awesome gift (I want one in red), and owning one makes someone a little eccentric, and I'm always trying to cultivate my own eccentricity (I also want a teddy-bear named Aloysius.) I think this part of the story is what also intrigues me with regards to the typewriter:

"It might be a paradox, but a number of Silicon Valley computer folks have bought typewriters from Sansone. Sure, they miss the spell-check and save keys, but they like seeing how machines work. They like the sounds. They even like X-ing out words instead of hitting a delete key. And, Arora says, there's something else.

'It shows you the journey, how you arrived. That is where we miss with the latest technology — you miss the process,' he says. 'To me, the journey is more important than the destination.'"

I thin my mom has a typewriter somewhere--she was once a secretary and typist. But as I recall, it's not nearly as neat as the one pictured above. I should dig it at anyhow. Of course, I don't think I would use it very often, if at all, but it could still function as decor or a conversation piece.

Today after work at the library, I stopped at the other library where I work. If you've never been to the Main Branch of The City Library, you really need to check it out. Not only is it a top-rated functioning library, but it's a tourist destination too. It's billed number two in the state, right after Temple Square and before Zion National Park. Anyway, I love the fact that I work there, even though I haven't picked up an actual shift there yet. But today I went and checked out my own books--one of the many perks working there including no late fees. I picked up Slam by Nick Hornby because we're reading it for book group, The Big Oyster by Mark Kurlansky because it caught my eye when our group was looking at history books, The Complete Poems of Hart Crane (with an introduction by Harold Bloom!) because I've been into him lately, and the complete third season of Six Feet Under. Back in college I watched the first season and most of the second season, I may have even started the third, but I no longer recall. So it was just sitting there on a cart, and I thought, why not start watching it again. I also love that I could check the entire season at once instead of disc by disc like at a movie rental store. It will be odd, however, to see Michael C. Hall play a gay mortician once more after seeing his role as a serial killer on Dexter.

4 comments:

  1. I would approve of you having a typewriter, except I think you should actually use it, and not just as a conversation piece.

    PS: Where would your teddy bear named Aloysius come from? He must be a bit eccentric with a name like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eccentric Sebastian Flyte has such a teddy-bear in Brideshead Revisted so I would be a copier and not an original, which is so not eccentric, but nevertheless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a typewriter. My mom had one for a while. I loved the sound it made when I typed, and I loved seeing stories come to life from my work. Having fifty pages saved on your hard drive is not nearly the same as having fifty pages stacked on your desk, waiting for someone to run roughshod over them with a red pen. You should totally get a typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Valerie. Nagi, what up? Where you be?

    Typewriter! I agree that it would at least make a fabulous bookend.

    The Killers are playing right now; right, I'm taking Lizzi and Abigail to see them May 4 right here in St. Louis.

    Finally, are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete