Thursday, March 12, 2009

Triple Threat

Tonight I was watching 30 Rock and I would like to thank Jack Donoghue (aka Alec Baldwin) for explaining why I seem to be the consummate consumer. He alludes to the holy trinity of marketing which comprises college students, the morbidly obese, and homosexuals. Check, check, and check. So maybe technically I only belong to one group, but it often feels like all three.

I also love the new MasterCard priceless ad that was aired during the Superbowl which features the Morton Salt Girl, the Vlassic Stork, the Jolly Green Giant, Mr. Clean, Charlie the Tuna, the Pillsbury Doughboy and others. (Alas, I cannot find it anywhere on YouTube.) I'm such a whore for brand names and advertisements.

Finally, I think it's fascinating that now when the economy is in the slumps, consumers have finally started to learn the lesson of saving money--at the exact same moment they should be spending their money. Ideally, we should save money when the economy is booming and spending money when it's . . . busting? But in the real world we consumers do quite the opposite. Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. It is bizarre that way, how humans do what seems counterintuitive. I guess it wasn't intuitive in the first place if so many sheeple avoid doing it. I, on the other hand, have been spending like a madwoman, mostly to feed my addictions to Criminal Minds, old Kung Fu movies, and crafting yarn, and pretty stationery, but hey, if it helps the economy, I'm okay with myself for spending like I do!

    ReplyDelete