Monday, March 23, 2009

Tweet--A Few Short Thoughts

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a Twitter account. I have lots of thoughts throughout the day and often feel like sharing them even though most people couldn't care less. I also feel self-conscious about updating my Facebook status constantly--that's just not cool. But at the same time, I personally don't believe in Twitter. In some ways I feel that it represents everything wrong with the new media--instant, shallow, mass communication. If you can call it communication. Nevertheless, I have had the urge to tweet, and thought why not do it on my blog because I already have one of those, and I do believe in blogging.

I just had one of those new Roast Burgers from Arby's and it was delicious. I had the Bacon and Blue last week, and today I had a coupon for a free roast burger with the purchase of a drink (sweet deal!) and got the Bacon Cheddar which was more delicious than the first. Basically though, all it is is an Arby's roast beef sandwich with toppings--mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. It's nice, but it's not earth-shaking. Anyway, you should be able to find this coupon online, and why not try the roast burger yourself for the price of a soft drink.

Today I finished The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton, and even though it took me over a month to read it, I still feel very accomplished. It's not every day that I finish a 500+ page canonical novel. Once a book passes the 250-page mark, I become a little wary about my chances of finishing (or even starting) it. Anyway, I love Wharton--her subject and her style--and The Custom of the Country is generally considered her finest novel. It's about an American woman, Undine, who marries a sequence of men with monstrous avidity. Our unsympathetic, frequently exasperating, protagonist is perpetually seeking something more than she has, never pleased with her current circumstances. Anyway, it's a interesting novel of society and I recommend it if you enjoy Wharton's work or that style of literature.

This weekend I watched The Counterfeiters and Amores Perros. I was planning to also catch Waltz with Bashir but that just didn't happen this weekend, which is too bad because I like the rule of three. I desperately want to see Waltz before it leaves the Broadway. Anyway, I didn't much care for The Counterfeiters. In some ways I felt like "Oh, another Holocaust movie," which is a shame. The Holocaust was a horrific event, and yet with every artsy film that comes out concerning it, I feel it becomes a little more remote and anesthetized. I feel the film failed to connect with our emotional core, and I didn't feel that there was very much tension or suspense. It raised, or attempted to raise, some moral questions, but I was never very invested in their resolution. This is perhaps because I never connected with any of the characters. It was based on a true story--a fascinating, largely unknown piece of history, but the execution fell flat. I enjoyed Amorres Perros (Love's a Bitch) more, but wasn't blown away by it. Mostly I felt it was too long. It's an anthology of three somewhat interconnected stories. I was fascinated by the first story with Gael Garcia Bernal, but was not very interested in the other two stories. I did like the motif of dogs that played throughout the movie.

I spent far too much money this weekend. On Saturday I purchased the third and fourth seasons of Sex and the City on an impulse. They had the seasons at Smith's for $20 each, and I decided to go for it. They were already out of seasons one and five (but that's okay because they're both shorter seasons, and the first one kinda sucked). I had recently seen season two, and I don't believe in how season six is sold in two separate parts. I'm also learning that I missed the first part of season three because I don't remember any of the episodes--Ellen probably watched them without me. So I made the right choice. I also purchased some lovely clothes at Aeropostale with my sister. A number of items were already 50% off and then I had a coupon for an additional 30% off my entire purchased. So I spent $60 when it would normally have cost me $140. Boo-ya baby! Unfortunately, they're warm, casual, springy clothes that won't help me so much in Minneapolis this weekend. And it snowed here today.

Anyway, those were just a few thoughts I wanted to get off my chest. I suppose a Twitter page would force me to keep my thoughts short and sweet. After all, brevity is the soul of wit, a phrase I clearly don't put any stock into. Happy snowy Monday to everyone!

P.S. I just found this video on YouTube which explains Twitter perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to point out that while it was snowing here, it was raining in Minnesota according to my mom.

    ReplyDelete